New to Mods, need some advice.

StewartJ23

Established Member
Just bought a stock 03' cobra and looking to bump it up to around 550-600hp. I was just wanting some opinions on the cheapest way to get there. Would it be easier and better for the engine just to port the eaton, put a dragon throttle body on it , cai, etc.. and get to 600 that way? Or should I just throw a Kenne Bell on it with a few other little things and call it a day? What kind of gears would you all recommend as well? Just wanting some opinions like the title says I'm pretty new to all of this. Thanks!

Satyr

Established Member
Just bought a stock 03' cobra and looking to bump it up to around 550-600hp. I was just wanting some opinions on the cheapest way to get there. Would it be easier and better for the engine just to port the eaton, put a dragon throttle body on it , cai, etc.. and get to 600 that way? Or should I just throw a Kenne Bell on it with a few other little things and call it a day? What kind of gears would you all recommend as well? Just wanting some opinions like the title says I'm pretty new to all of this. Thanks!

Eaton setup won't yield 600 rwhp unless you add nitrous. KB would be the way to go, but you have to take into account the suspension/fuel/air mods that you will (basically) need in order to utilize the power. At that point, you're looking into spending 5k, at the very least least (including other parts, tune, installation costs, odds and ends, etc.). Is that in your budget?

Also, what are your goals with the car, long term? Why do you want to add gears? Not saying you shouldn't, just curious.

StewartJ23

Established Member
I'm aware of the fuel mods I would have to do, but what other mods would be necessary when your referring to air, suspension, etc. I'm not as concerned with the price as I am with the engine work and how hard it is on the car. The reason for the gears is simply because I've had a lot of people tell me that 4:10 gears would give me more torque at lower rpms, or at least feel like it.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
lol these cars make PLENTY of torque with the stock gears. with 4.10 gears and that much hp, you'd run out of gear/speed waaaay before you ran out of power. if anything... with 600hp, you might want to go to 3.27 gears. put her on the highway, and watch her FLY. but my personal opinion (and many others), is that these cars come stock geared perfectly.

also like someone else already mentioned, you arent going to be seeing 600hp out of your eaton, unless youre going to spray a fat shot of juice. so, you might as well start looking at twin scew blowers. now if you'd be happy with just 500hp. then a ported blower, and aggressive pulley setup would prob get you there.

SilverCobra7

Philippians 4:13
Established Member
500+ hp is easily achieved with the a ported eaton and supporting mods... I achieved it, still running my stock throttle body & plenum unported and upper pulley only. If 600 hp is something that you would rather have... Then a twin screw is your answer like mentioned before!

Last edited:

StewartJ23

Established Member
Appreciate the input guys! I think I will go ahead and keep the stock gears. Cost and power wise do you all think that a turbo would be better than a kenne bell?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
without trying to get into the whole - "which is better...a supercharger, or turbocharger?" debate....they both have their positives and negatives. if you are loving the low rpm torque (which it sounds like you do), just stick with the supercharger. its IMMEDIATE torque/hp at any rpm, and there is no spool up time. as far as cost goes, im sure it would cost more to get a good/nice turbo setup fabbed up and installed, over just swapping out the blower, and a few other supporting mods.

the search function/feature is very handy on this site, and you can learn a LOT. just play around with it a little...make sure you are searching the right sections of the forums, for the info you are looking for...and type in different phrases, to see what you can find. you'd be amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is available to you, with just the click of a few buttons. the tools are there my friend....its just up to you to utilize them. =]

Satyr

Established Member
I'm aware of the fuel mods I would have to do, but what other mods would be necessary when your referring to air, suspension, etc.

You will need a KB BAP, 60# injectors, a MAF extender and likely a PPRV delete.
As for suspension, you'll want to have FLSFC, IRS brace (and brackets are a good idea), upgraded bushings would be a great idea and you'll need a good, sticky tire (and a set of wheels if you really want to maximize your performance).

Users who are viewing this thread