New to me DD

RichM1983

Established Member
Hey guys I figured I'd post up my new to me DD. Nothing special unless you like Trackers and the various rebranded versions.

null-45.jpg

The real reason I'm posting this is I need some help with it though. It has a strange problem. It was running cold so I thought easy fix, replace the thermostat....

Well now I have an even more weird problem and I can't find an answer after searching google and forums. When your driving it takes a while to heat up and when it does if you give it gas above say 3k RPMS the temp needle will drop significantly. Anyone heard of a problem like this? It has a new thermostate, Duralst brand, and I'm pretty sure the system is free of air but maybe not. It never gets hot and you can make the temp drop by driving and revving above 3k or by revving it while parked. I took a video but it isn't great, hopefully you can see it drop. I couldn't hold the revs or it would have kept dropping....Any tips would be appreciated.

Oh and the CEL is EGR related. From what I have read this is common on these and it just needs some carbon cleaned out. I also have not saw anyone with EGR trouble cause this coolant problem.

th_13EF165A-660C-45D5-888F-1CA3768BD600-14403-00002384841EC5B9.jpg

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/use...-1CA3768BD600-14403-00002384841EC5B9.mp4.html

Oh and to make this more SVT friendly has anyone ever saw a VIN tag installed like this. It isn't in the sideways position like all others I have saw...

null-46.jpg

Last edited:

REPCobra10

Established Member
It looks nice from the picture that you posted, OP...:beer: I'm not familiar with those vehicles too much, other than an older woman that drives a purple one whom delivers breakfast/lunch in my area. Anyhow, she swears by how reliable it is and she keeps delivering some mean lunches to me...:D

RichM1983

Established Member
It looks nice from the picture that you posted, OP...:beer: I'm not familiar with those vehicles too much, other than an older woman that drives a purple one whom delivers breakfast/lunch in my area. Anyhow, she swears by how reliable it is and she keeps delivering some mean lunches to me...:D

lol nice...

No one has any insight on such a problem? I figured this would be the place to ask. Hopefully someone can help. My next thing is changing the T-stat again this weekend. Hopefully that works.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Decent DD, is it 4wd?

Does the heat work? It doesn't make sense that the temp drops when you get to higher rpms so it leads me to believe the stock temp gauge is busted. Get a different gauge for coolant temp and see if that is really the case.

RichM1983

Established Member
Decent DD, is it 4wd?

Does the heat work? It doesn't make sense that the temp drops when you get to higher rpms so it leads me to believe the stock temp gauge is busted. Get a different gauge for coolant temp and see if that is really the case.

Yeah it is 4wd.

The heat does work. It takes a lot longer than I think a car should to heat up though.

This all started because when I got it I new it may have had a problem with the t-stat. I drove it roughly 30 miles and it never got hotter than 1/8 to a 1/4 up the gauge and the heat didn't work well. So I changed the t-stat.

Now the heat works better but it does take a long time for the car to get to the 1/2 way point of the gauge. At any point I can rev the engine above 3k RPMS and the temps will drop. Not a slight drop either like in the vid. I can make them drop from 1/2 to a 1/4 or from a 1/4 to C. That is a substantial drop.

At no point has the motor been hot.

My thoughts are the stat is not closing like it should to regulate the temperature correctly. I hope I'm right.

Users who are viewing this thread