New to forum and SVT's

XDkyleXD

Established Member
Hey all I just bought a 1999 Ford Lightning.. and I have to say compared the old old fox body 5.0's Im extremely impressed and happy about it..
Im very interested in modding it and wondering what should be my first mods..
Im hoping for 400rwhp
Any help will be appreciated Im new to modular engines and superchargers

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Welcome aboard
You can start by upgrading the 80mm MAF with a 90mm MAF. A hand held tuner, #6 lower pulley NGK TR6 plugs gaped @.036 and a good tune

XDkyleXD

Established Member
photo.php

photo.php

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
Welcome...read the "sticky" at the top first,and then ask away.....

Dusten

Established Member
+1
full exhaust and some kind of coldair too.

Why does someone always have to throw this out there?
A CAI will net you almost nothing on a truck like his.
full exhaust is 100% not needed either. A catback will help make it sound good though. My first L was running 8.20-8.30's in the 1/8th mile on only a catback, and a drop in filter as far as the intake and exhaust mods go.
Get a valve body first. They are a great bang for the buck mod, only take an hour to install and will help your transmission live longer. Punisher Gearboxes sells the favorite, although Dantes Modular Performance and Factory Tech sell good ones too.
After that, i would do a basic tune up, fuel filter, that sort of thing.
Then buy a package from a reputable tuner on the forums, JJ @ Woodbine, or Rick and Lynn at Amazon can hook you up with a pulley, belt, plugs, mass air flow meter, tune and a starter tune. This will get the truck running great, and if you want more either tuner can dial your tune in more. Since you are new to super chargers, the pulleys purpose is to change the pulley ratio so that the super charger spins faster, and builds more boost. On the lightning, a 6lb lower on a stock eaton is considered the safe limit, and at that point, a MAF extender or upgraded MAF is generally a good idea.
You can run a little more boost if you port the eaton, but i would get to know your truck before going that far. One this is done, if you want to go racing, get yourself a set of traction bars and some sticky tires, and have a blast.
If you really feel the need to waste money on a CAI at your power level, it wont hurt anything, its just money that can be spent elsewhere.

XDkyleXD

Established Member
Why does someone always have to throw this out there?
A CAI will net you almost nothing on a truck like his.
full exhaust is 100% not needed either. A catback will help make it sound good though. My first L was running 8.20-8.30's in the 1/8th mile on only a catback, and a drop in filter as far as the intake and exhaust mods go.
Get a valve body first. They are a great bang for the buck mod, only take an hour to install and will help your transmission live longer. Punisher Gearboxes sells the favorite, although Dantes Modular Performance and Factory Tech sell good ones too.
After that, i would do a basic tune up, fuel filter, that sort of thing.
Then buy a package from a reputable tuner on the forums, JJ @ Woodbine, or Rick and Lynn at Amazon can hook you up with a pulley, belt, plugs, mass air flow meter, tune and a starter tune. This will get the truck running great, and if you want more either tuner can dial your tune in more. Since you are new to super chargers, the pulleys purpose is to change the pulley ratio so that the super charger spins faster, and builds more boost. On the lightning, a 6lb lower on a stock eaton is considered the safe limit, and at that point, a MAF extender or upgraded MAF is generally a good idea.
You can run a little more boost if you port the eaton, but i would get to know your truck before going that far. One this is done, if you want to go racing, get yourself a set of traction bars and some sticky tires, and have a blast.
If you really feel the need to waste money on a CAI at your power level, it wont hurt anything, its just money that can be spent elsewhere.

Im going to sound like a jackass but I cant find a site with valve bodies for the lightning

Dusten

Established Member
I am not sure this is allowed, because he isn't a sponsor, but just google Woodbine Motorsports. You can't order it off the site, but you can call him and order it.

Users who are viewing this thread