New to E-85

Dalton_ray

Established Member
I've been searching the forums all night and can't find any solid answers..

Wanting to switch over to E-85 on my cobra cause of the limit on power with 91 octane, problem with that is nothing better than 91 octane except for an hour away.. Been looking at buying 55 gallon drums and storing them in the storage unit and use as i go, i've seen people use them in plastic drums and metal drums.. OBVIOUSLY I would have the sealed with a non ventable cap to avoid mixture getting in, but how long can I store it in there before the fuel in the barrels starts to go bad? What do y'all use to pump it out? Is there anything I might be over looking or not thinking of before I start the switch, I have the fuel system ready for it just want it done at the same time as i put the TVS on

cj428mach

Established Member
You'll love e85, its amazing stuff.

I get my e85 from Wichita on the north side 5 gallons at a time when me or my girlfriend is in town about once a week. I either throw it directly in the car if it'll hold it if not I put it in the drum.

If you have a full drum you can siphon it pretty easy, once you get down to about the last 1/3rd of a tank you'll have to pick the barrel up and tip it which isn't a lot of fun. I plan to buy or build a barrel cart in the future for when I'm getting low enough I can't siphon it. Malcolmv8 did have the idea of getting a cheap electric fuel pump to rig up to empty the barrel but I'm not sure if he ever tried it.

The way I look at it is e85 is so cheap if I end up having to throw it away I'm not out much. A 55 Gal drum is going to run you approx $110 to fill it and if you don't think you'll end up using it all before it goes "bad" start throwing a few gallons into your DD every tank and get rid of it. I got rid of a whole 55 gal drum that way between my other cars lol.

If you need an empty 55 gal drum let me know as we usually have plenty of them here at work.

Do you have mods that aren't in your sig? for e85 you'll need bigger pumps and the 60's aren't going to cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread