New tires rubbing

hades_1

Established Member
I installed a new set of front tires on a 96 Mustang early this week which are BF Goodrich g-force sport COMP 2 275/40/17, replacing my old Hankook Ventus II 275/40/17 and now the tires seem to be rubbing against something at full lock (I think they are rubbing against the struts or maybe lower control arms, it seems to be on the inside anyway, not on the wheel well).

Any idea what could have been causing that considering the tires are the same size?
Just trying to understand what happened and if I should worry about it.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
See what's rubbing, might be your sway bar or control arm. I'd just say don't turn it to full lock if you don't have to

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I run a 255 40 17 and every once in a while I will get some kind of rub if I am backing up with wheels cranked most of the way. I would expect an issue if I used a 275 up front, I know it is common to run large tires up front but I don't really get it. Your new 275s may be a bit taller/wider than the old ones.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Different brand tires are different sizes even if marked the same.

BFG tires run big. You can get rack limiters or just not turn the wheel as far.

hades_1

Established Member
So, it's not a real problem as long as I don't turn the wheels all the way?
Good to know. I am not too sure why the previous owner decided to run very large tires (275/40/17 front 315/35/17 rear) but I just thought it would be easier just to keep the same setup since I like the way it handles.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
What type of wheels are you running? I run 275/40 BFG's on both AFS and OE 17x9 Cobra R's and have never experienced rubbing up front. Only modifications up front are Eibach Pro-kit springs, MM camber plates.

Noreast

Established Member
My rim rubs my sway bar at full lock but didn't with my cobra r wheels must be from different offsets and stuff

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
My 18" FR500's do the same. Very frustrating because the turning radius on these cars is already crap.

bumsoil

Established Member
My tires rubbed on my sway bar. I installed some rack limiters. Fat tires > turning radius. I do half donuts when I turn around in an intersection to improve my turning circle.

hades_1

Established Member
What type of wheels are you running? I run 275/40 BFG's on both AFS and OE 17x9 Cobra R's and have never experienced rubbing up front. Only modifications up front are Eibach Pro-kit springs, MM camber plates.

I have some Cobra R wheels

as far as modifications at the front, I have tubular griggs racing K-member, tubular front control arms, front adjustable coil-over kit, caster-camber plates, double adjustable Koni struts, anti roll bar and...I think that's it.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Like someone mentioned earlier, BFG's tend to run a bit wider for a given size, so that might be the culprit. Probably time for additional rack limiters.

Users who are viewing this thread