New tire recommendations

BlackVic_P71

Established Member
I have a set of wheels off a 2010 GT500 on my car right now and am in need of at least new rear tires. One of the rear tires had an unfortunate encounter with a knife and the hole was too large for a patch to work.
The vehicle that the wheels are on is a Ford Crown Victoria.
I have done a few autocrosses with the car this summer and the stock tires keep it going in the right direction, they are the Eagle F1 255/40-19 front and 285/35-19 rear that came on the 2010 GT500 coupe.
Due to clearances around the rear tire I can't go much bigger if at all, the front maybe.
I just need to hear what's good for a car this size.
Thanks

Discount Tire

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have a set of wheels off a 2010 GT500 on my car right now and am in need of at least new rear tires. One of the rear tires had an unfortunate encounter with a knife and the hole was too large for a patch to work.
The vehicle that the wheels are on is a Ford Crown Victoria.
I have done a few autocrosses with the car this summer and the stock tires keep it going in the right direction, they are the Eagle F1 255/40-19 front and 285/35-19 rear that came on the 2010 GT500 coupe.
Due to clearances around the rear tire I can't go much bigger if at all, the front maybe.
I just need to hear what's good for a car this size.
Thanks

Thanks for the post,

What type of tire are you looking for? Something similar to what you have now? Something that will improve your times in Autocross or something that will last longer?

BlackVic_P71

Established Member
Thanks for the post,

What type of tire are you looking for? Something similar to what you have now? Something that will improve your times in Autocross or something that will last longer?

I am looking for a tire to improve times, gas mileage and last a long time :) I know there isn't one for all categories.
A few people that have the Eagle F1's on these cars have switched to Nitto's when they wore out, but I know people that did not like the INVO which is the only one in the "correct" size.

I am looking for something that will be able to hold this large car on the track and help improve my times. I was looking at the Hankook Ventus V12, I've seen good reviews for other sizes, the price is right too.

Last edited:

Discount Tire

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I am looking for a tire to improve times, gas mileage and last a long time :) I know there isn't one for all categories.
A few people that have the Eagle F1's on these cars have switched to Nitto's when they wore out, but I know people that did not like the INVO which is the only one in the "correct" size.

I am looking for something that will be able to hold this large car on the track and help improve my times. I was looking at the Hankook Ventus V12, I've seen good reviews for other sizes, the price is right too.

There certainly isn't an end all great tire that can do everything. I'd recommend looking into a second set of wheels and tires for the track. There may be some better options in 17" or 18" for your Crown and if you had a second set for the track you wouldn't have to worry too much about how fast they burn up.

If that isn't in the cards right now, the Evo V12 may be a good, less expensive, alternative to the F1's that you have now. I haven't seen a side by side test on these for performance but these do get good reviews from large performance vehicles. Life on these should be similar to the F1's, maybe a hair longer.

Last edited:

BlackVic_P71

Established Member
Thanks.
I do have a second set of wheels but the GT500's are on since they looks 100000x better.
See for yourself:
2011-06-14_15-11-53_461.jpg

5After1coatfar.jpg

The Pirelli's I have on my 17" Mustang Bullits do very poorly at autocross.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Looks good blackvic.

Another excellent model to look into is the Yokohama Advan Sport. This model utilizes a stiff sidewall and softer rubber compound (180) which should help you decrease time. Here's the link with more details...

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Users who are viewing this thread