New tire questions

slick4_6

Established Member
I am looking at getting some tires for my used Centerline Matrix wheels. I run the Kumho XS on my Cobra. It has a 180 treadware and picks up rocks and road debris pretty bad but drive amazing. When driving across a tar and gravel parking lot or even a road that has been tar and graveled they pick up rocks worse than anything else I have ever seen. The new Nitto NT05 has a treadware of 200 and was a tire I looked at before deciding on the Kumho XS. I don't want a tire for my L as bad at throwing rocks and road debris as the XS. Does anyone run the NT05 on there L? Is it so sticky that it shows the same characteristics?

I am trying to decide between the Nitto 555 or NT05. I daily drive my L but only drive about 8k miles a year. I have been driving for the last 5k miles on about the wear bars on my Toyos and have had no problems driving in the rain. I know the 555 is probably better in the rain but is the NT05 driveable in the rain or is it as bad as a drag radial. Can I get 20k miles out of the NT05 or am I gonna have to get the 555 to get 2 years out of them. Are the NT05 enough better to pay the penalty of shorter tire life and $120 higher price tag?

DailyBlown

Established Member
FYI, tread wear ratings can only be compared within the same brand, for example a Michelin Pilot Sport vs. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +. You can not compare a BFGoodrich Touring Pro Series vs. Michelin Primacy MXV4. Also, you will pickup rocks that is normal. Some off-road tires have rock ejector technology, i.e. Bridgestone A/T tires. Finally, today's tires aren't really any "stickier" or less stickier since they have different various belt constructions (e.g. steel belts, polyamide, etc.), rubbers, synthetic rubbers, etc.. I can not compare the two tires since I have not driven on them, however, I have driven on the Goodyear Eagles, Hankook Ventus, and Nitto NT555. I can not say how many years you will get out of them since that depends on your driving style and maintenance. I got around 20k on the Nitto tires and the Goodyear tires. I preferred the Nitto tires in the rain.

slick4_6

Established Member
I got around 20k on the Nitto tires and the Goodyear tires. I preferred the Nitto tires in the rain.

Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. The 555 has a little over 10/32" tread when new and the NT05 only has 7/32. If you got 20k miles out of the 555 there is no way I could get the same out of a set of tires that start off with only 65% of the tread and a treadware of 100 less. I would like to get the tire that grips better but it appears that it would only last about 10k miles.

tistan

Established Member
I have over 30k miles on nitto 555s. The only problem I have out of them is the sidewall is dry rotting. I could probably get another 8k miles out of them. I don't beat on my lightning. I just drive to and from work and tow my other cars to the track with it. If you only drive 8k a year, I don't see why you couldn't get 2 years of used out of the nt05 as long as your not beating the hell out of them every day.

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
I went from Goodyears to Hankooks. I'm pretty happy with them and from what I've heard they are supposed to last forever.

I think they are also the cheapest out there.

NSSVT

Established Member
yeah i just picked up my 4 new hankook ventus rh 06 yesterday. they look awesome and have a treadwear rating of 420. so i wont know how good they really are for a bit as my truck is still in storage. they cost me 300 bucks a tire here in nova scotia, canada. pretty sure they are much cheaper everywhere else.

slick4_6

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I ended up with the Nitto 555. I was afraid the NT05 would not hold up very long at all. I think I got the best performance for the amount of miles I need to get out of them. Hopefully they will stick good enough to satisfy me.

Users who are viewing this thread