New tire problem

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
Has anyone had any problems with Nitto Nt555 G2 tires on their 03/04 Cobra.
I bought four new ones and my Ford dealer says the are all defective.
At 70 mph on the highway, there is vibration and road noise.
I'm told the tires are not perfectly round on the outside edges.
Help please! Ken

Huff-n-puff

Established Member
70 mph is typically a balance problem and not a tire problem. Usually tire issues are felt between 30-50. Try having another shop balance your tires and see if it makes a difference. The Road Force tire balancers are supposed to be the best machines. If you can't find a shop with a road force balancer, ask them to calibrate their wheel balancer before they do your tires. If it is a tire issue, they could try rotating the tires on the wheels 180 degrees to see if it helps. If you're anywhere near Nashville Tn I'd be glad to give it a shot.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd guess balance too. We had to have them rebalance the fronts on my wife's car and it's been fine since.

oldmodman

Established Member
Find a tire shop with a road force balancer. It does a much better job of balancing than a spin balancer. The machine will actually have the operator re-mount the tire to counteract any wheel imbalances. Then it is balanced again with wheel weights. And the machine will actually specify the weight position on the wheel (using stick on weights).

Here is the road force balancer finder app. http://www.hunter.com/gsp9700

KenCobra03

Established Member
Thank you guys! I guess tomorrow I will go to a different shop and balance all four wheels again.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i have seen Nitto have bad batches of tires that had issues like this. if it the road force balancer doesnt work, contact nitto or a distributer through an authorized dealer (or wherever you bought them)

KenCobra03

Established Member
Today I had Hogan Tire in Beverly, MA. look at my 2003 Cobra and I had all four of my wheels
balanced again. Wow ! They found out that the wheels were all over balanced. Never considered
that happening during a tire mount and balance, especially from a Ford dealer.
I learned that you are supposed to reset the balancing machine after every time you use it.
So glad that the service manager, Steve Atherton, knew just what to look for and get the job
done quickly and effectively.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Today I had Hogan Tire in Beverly, MA. look at my 2003 Cobra and I had all four of my wheels
balanced again. Wow ! They found out that the wheels were all over balanced. Never considered
that happening during a tire mount and balance, especially from a Ford dealer.
I learned that you are supposed to reset the balancing machine after every time you use it.
So glad that the service manager, Steve Atherton, knew just what to look for and get the job
done quickly and effectively.

Good to hear you got taken care of. I'd go back to that Ford dealer and ask for a refund on the tire balance.

Huff-n-puff

Established Member
Glad it worked out. Being in the auto repair business I will tell you that I see that a lot. So many people out there balancing tires that have no clue what they're doing. You'd think that the Ford or whoever dealership would be the best place to go but more often than not those guys are no better than any other mechanics or general service technicians at any other shop. I tell all of my customers who are relocating or their children have gone off to college to ask around when they get there at which shops to use and which to avoid. It's all about the employees and how much they care about what they are doing, not the franchise or name of the business.

Users who are viewing this thread