New Timing Chain?

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
Hi Guys,

I have a 97 cobra. Just finished a rebuild and fired it up. Ran well but there was a rattle noise coming from the front of the engine. I opened it up and did not see any damage. I did notice that the drivers side primary chain was a bit slack on the non-tensioner side of the run and it could have been rubbing a part of the casting on the block there.

I removed the chains to see if there was any damage and I couldn't see any. I did notice that the chains have a stretch built into them. The difference between a fully relaxed chain and compressed chain is about 1/8".

Is there supposed to be this much play in these chains? I have about 70k on them right now but they look pretty indestructible so I wasn't planning on replacing them. Now I don't know :)

The 1/8" difference is enough to allow the cams to "settle" out of their timing set by the connect the dots method (I know :) so that the cam positioners will not install without rotating the engine to take up the "slack" in the chains.

tt54l32v

Established Member
new chains cant hurt make sure the tensioners are not stopped up with gunked up oil. and not keeping the chains tight

Users who are viewing this thread