New SVT owner

93TaurusSHO

Established Member
Hey guys. I have been around this site for a few years now but I never posted much. Just read and check out all the sweet pictures! But anyway...I just bought my first SVT! (well, I am going to the bank tomorrow and should have the car sometime next week)

I had a '93 Taurus SHO when I signed up on the site, that's the reason for the name.

Anyway, I am proud to be a part of the SVT club! It's a 1997 Rio Red Cobra with only 29,000 miles! Its got an aftermarket chip (I think it needs reprogrammed) and a nice sounding exhaust.
I got a great deal on her!

I know alot about them...but not everything. What things should I be aware of with this year...and what do you guys recommend for a first upgrade?

Thanks for the advice!

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Welcome! I don't own a 4.6L but I'm sure people are going to start chiming in with the first mod being 4.10's, 4.30's, and even the 4.56 crowd will jump in lol.

Post pics!

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
i always think exhaust should be a first mod... it may not be as effective as a gear but installation is a snap and I'd think it'd be pretty pointless to drive around a car with 4.10's and stock exhaust.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
It is amazing to me that there are still people who do not include full length subframe connectors in the first two or three mods. Frankly you want to do this (and in this order IMHO)

1. Full length subframes (maximum motorsports has a great set)
2. Gears. 96-98 4.10s are the most recommended followed by 4.30s
3. exhaust - go to a car show and take a listen and see what you like
4. lowering springs / caster/camber plates if you plan to corner carve you are better off with linear rates up front progressives in the rear. or go with coilovers caster camber plates are a must in order to get a good alignment.
5. Cold Air Intake - I have BBK on my 04 and will probably go with BBK on my 95. but there are several different makers so some research is warranted

after that go for the real power adders and polishing if you want to ...

Edited to add: throw in a short throw shifter in there (Mgw first choice IMHO Pro5.0 next) that is a mod you can do anytime

Last edited:

John4cam

Established Member
I agree with everything but the cold air induction, dropping in a k&n filter to the stock assembly is good for a couple hp and the cai might give you a couple more, not the best bang for the buck.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I agree with everything but the cold air induction, dropping in a k&n filter to the stock assembly is good for a couple hp and the cai might give you a couple more, not the best bang for the buck.

who said it was the best bang for the buck? it is a mod that 99% of cobra owners do ... if your drag racing 2hp is 2hp no matter where it comes from.

93TaurusSHO

Established Member
i always think exhaust should be a first mod... it may not be as effective as a gear but installation is a snap and I'd think it'd be pretty pointless to drive around a car with 4.10's and stock exhaust.

Thanks for the sugestions!

I do have an exhaust on it. Not sure what brand, but it does sound nice!

He said it has a chip, but im kind of confused because he said he doesn't have the stock on. I know with my SHO the chip just plugged into the computer and that was that. Is there a stock chip that gets removed with the 97's? He said it throws a code every once and a while.

Do these things really add alot of HP?

Smoked SVT

Established Member
Go with the JLT CAI. It makes alot of proven hp over stock and over drop in filters...4" ftw! Go with the sub frames, 4.30's or do a t56 swap and go 4.56's, upper and lower rear control arms, 31 splines, locker unit, 315 drag radials, longtubes with offroad H, and 2 chamber flows,...etc. There are too many things you can do and its tough to choose where to start.

Oh and def get the BOI smoked headlights. They look sick on red sn95's.

Edit: forgot...delete the 4x4 mod if the previous owner hasnt already. Id go with the prokit if it was me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread