New steering rack installed, wheel hard to turn

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Ok, so I just installed a new steering rack on a 98 GT I just picked up last Saturday, everything is on and good, filled the power steering reservoir, turned my wheel a million times to get out the air, fluid level is good. Dropped the car, pulled out of the garage, and wheel is hard as hell to turn, no whining, no noise.. just hard to turn the wheel. The car had a Steeda bumpsteer kit on it, could the alignment being too out of whack cause this? I’m getting frustrated over here, I just fixed a shitload of shit on this thing the last few days and this was my last on the list and now this shit happens. Any help is appreciated

Sluggie24

Established Member
Was the steering hard to turn with the old rack? If not and if you used the correct fluid then the new rack is bad.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
No it turned fine, it was just leaking all over the place. Since my post I bled off the power steering system again, vacuumed it, put fresh fluid in and worked out the any air bubbles again and same exact thing, once the car is dropped to the ground it’s hard as hell to turn. I guess I have to shoot an email to the place I got it from. This sucks. I used Mercon V.

Users who are viewing this thread