New Springs on the Cobra Tonight.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Tonight I'll be going from stock to H&R race springs and 03/04 Bilsteins. I have 3 hours to do swap, can it be done?

Before Pic
IMG_6154.jpg

Not sure if it has cut coils, but I measured to the top of the fenders and it is 27",26.25",26.25",26.5" starting at pass front going clockwise. Seems awfully low to me already so I'm hoping for an increase in height:-D. I never measured the 99 in my sig and that has an Eibach Pro-kit. Will post after pic probably Thursday when I get some time.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
3 hours for springs and shocks at all for corners would be really moving IMO, post up some pics when you're done.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
It took me just under 3 hours do do all that in my garage with simple hand tools. It should raise your height a bit and those springs could be cut because you are sitting pretty low for stock springs. Here is what mine looks like with H&R Race springs and all Iso's in with Bilstiens.

IMG_0802.jpg

Rotzs99

Established Member
man those exhaust tips are huge;-)

lol....I love the 4" tips. I think they sound louder than 3.5" too.

Darkc0bra, the car looks great. Can you comment on the ride difference?

So the answer is no, I was not able to do it.

On the 99 I could've sworn we did it without a spring compressor. I rented one, but was too much of a hassle. In the end I was able to manhandle the springs in there. I think the race springs are too stiff for me to do that or I'm just getting weak. I got all 4 shocks in and front springs minus the bottom isos. I measured the front and it was 27.25" So I did go up a little bit. Fronts ARE squeaking without the bottom isos.

I tried putting in the rears and could not get them in. The H&Rs were maybe an 1" longer than my 'stock' springs. I'm not sure they are supposed to be that way. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the lower arm to drop enough.

Thursday I'm having a buddy at a dealership install CC plates and do an alignment. I'm just going to pay him to put in the rears and redo the fronts with lower isos. This weekend I should be able to put in my MM STB.

The good news is, with the new shocks the car rides super solid and I'm sure will be better with the STB and rear springs. I've contemplated not modding it and saving for a 5.0 Boss, but if this turns out the way I think it will, I'll be in love all over again.

The worst news is, as I was contorting my body trying to shove the springs in place, I could hear my boxers ripping. R.I.P CK boxers... Moral of the story is wear flexible underwear!

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Darkc0bra, the car looks great. Can you comment on the ride difference?

Thank you :beer: I love how my car rides. It is a bit stiffer and handles sooo much better but I have no complaints here. Everyone that rides in the car loves how it feels as well. I have had this setup now for about 2 years and I'm sure I won't be changing it anytime soon. It looks better now that I have a 03/34 Hood and a 01 Rear :rockon:

On a side no I didn't use a spring compressor at all. The only time I have ever had to use them is on the "coilover" style from the factory. The rears are the easiest the install. Took about 30 min at most to install both sides. Did you lower the IRS all the way? Literally lower it down, pull springs, put new ones in and jack it back up. Easy as pie.

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Yeah, if you didn't loosen up the IRS and drop it down a bit I don't think you're going to be able to get the spring seated in the control arm cup. That's what ended up taking me a little bit b/c I only wanted to drop the IRS as much as was absolutely necessary - basically trial and error until I got both sides seated properly.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Yeah, I looked at the AmericanMuscle instructions and they said to lower the IRS. Don't remember doing that last time, but I'll give that a shot.

Any help on the front? Is there a way to get a little more room?

These are the instructions on AM

"Put the spring back in (make sure that the spring is in the seat in the correct location), place the jack back under the ball joint location. Jack it back up to the point where the control arm is almost level (or until right before it starts to lift the car off your jack stands)"

I'm sorry, but it's never that easy.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I didn't have any problems with the fronts - a spring compressor makes it a snap to get them seated properly. The last thing you want is to think the spring is seated enough, and then when you start jacking up the control arm the spring flies out at you.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
With the rear remove the 2 top rear bolts for the irs lower it a couple inches and the springs drop out by themselves. You may have to lower the exhaust as well.

For the front I like to loosen the lower control arms bolts to allow the arm to swing more freely. Some springs are longer then others may require more room if not using a spring compressor. I also personally use the spring tool from Maximum Motorsports, it's pretty cheap and works great for all 79-04 cars.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Doesn't do you any good when you're removing (or if you need to re-install) stock springs, as they are too long - that's a nice concept, but I'd rather use a spring compressor, takes all of 30 seconds to get it situated and tightened up.

Users who are viewing this thread