New Spec 3+ Clutch Issues?

gx00850

Established Member
I have a few questions. I got a new SPEC 3+ Clutch and flywheel installed a couple of months ago. (About 200 miles)

Is it really normal for the car to drive like total crap this long? When I engage in 1st gear or reverse I have to give it a ton of clutch or the whole car starts shaking HARD. I was expecting some break in issues but not this bad. Other shifts feel okay, but I hate driving the car now.

It is pretty embarassing, I either have to lay down so mutch clutch from a red light it looks like I have never driven a manual transmission or try to take off normally and the car sounds/feels like its a junker.

I just need to know if this is normal, if so will it go away, or should I bring it back to the shop for a look see.

Anybody know a good transmission shop around Atlanta?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
It takes most of us from 750 to 1,000 miles for this clutch to break in thoroughly for good street manners. My car used to shudder so hard that I thought the drivetrain was going to drop right out of the car. Now, all clutch manners are comparable to stock.

MVD

Established Member
Perfectly normal, just keep putting city miles on it. At 500 it will be much improved and, like IronTerp said, at 1000 you will not even know the difference.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I had mine installed about 16 days ago and love it so far (400 miles). I've been driving my car everywhere trying to break it in. Sometimes it chatters more than average but it's usually the colder days and when I haven't drove it in a few days.

I am very pleased with it though so far and the engagement is so smooth and easy compared to the stocker which was harder than shit to press in.

The more and more you drive it, the more like butter it feels.

gx00850

Established Member
Okay, maybe I'm just over reacting. I was expecting something alot more driveable when I picked it up. It sounds like I had the same symptoms as IronTerp. I feel like the whole drivetrain is going to fall out. Thanks for the input. I just need to drive it more.

Fat-cat

Established Member
instead of dragging the clutch out give it a touch more RPM that seems to smooth is out durring break in. I slip mine out on the street at about 12-1300 rpm and its butter.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i just got mine installed and i have to say..this clutch just doesnt like to be feathered in general. It will if you give it more rpm's but it is a grab and go clutch. I also only have about 200 miles of break in on mine right now...

divided

Established Member
Sounds like normal 'chatter' with that particular clutch. Mine did the same thing (although a spec2) and it's gotten better, but definetly hasn't gone away. You say you had it for a few months, but how many miles have you put on it?

*edit*

Sorry just saw you said 200 miles. Id definetly drive it more to wear it in. If its still doing after 500+ miles then id worry.

Last edited:

svt_racing

Established Member
Doing some searching on spec clutch breaking in...Reading above I found Im not the only one. Hope mine gets better as I get the miles on it. Its only been installed since wed and Ive been driving as much as I can so it has maybe 150 miles on it. It grabs so damn hard in first its hard to just leave a light. The whole car shakes like crazy!! Guess I'll keep putting the miles on it and hope it gets broke in. I've just never had a clutch like this.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Just wait from 500-1000 miles, the difference is amazing...
My spec3+ TOB is a goner, squeals real bad and I put a Ford HD TOB in there...
I guess it wasn't adjuster correctly

i8urSS

Established Member
i'm in the process of moving up here to atl too. the only two shops i've found that seem to be more focused on mustangs is higginsfordperformance.com in douglasville and mvperformance.com in statham (which is about an hour north east) mv seems to have a really good rep with work and tuning. i dont know much about higgins. hope all your clutch troubles work them selves out tho.

svt_racing

Established Member
Just wait from 500-1000 miles, the difference is amazing...
My spec3+ TOB is a goner, squeals real bad and I put a Ford HD TOB in there...
I guess it wasn't adjuster correctly

yeah I hope so. So how do you adust the TOB, seems to just go on...is there a special way or something?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I also have the LDC Freeplay Spring, so I adjust mine with the car up on jack stands with the engine idling in neutral and the inspection cover off of the side of the tranny. I adjust my firewall adjuster until the TOB backs off enough to just stop spinning. Hand pressure on the clutch arm will cause it to begin spinning again.

The freeplay spring pushes the clutch arm towards the back of the car so freeplay in the cable will allow it to pull the TOB back away from the Pressure Plate. It works well for me and my Spec 3+ with Fidenza Aluminum flywheel is perfect. No chatter at all but still grabs like a mofo.

Users who are viewing this thread