New spark plugs add info to tune ???

Frankycheechoo

Established Member
Hi guys I’m thinking of replacing the spark plugs on my 04 cobra with 30,000 kms , I just got it last year. I doubt the previous owner ever replaced them . I have a pulley and tune . Is there any reason to get it tuned or looked after when I change the plugs ??
What are the most important things to do when Changing the plugs ??
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
If you verified the tune and no driveability issues just replace with what you have in there gapped appropriately for your boost.

Some differing opinions on plug changes on removing hot or cold, using antiseize, and torquing to 11ftlbs or not.

I pulled mine cold, used anti seize, and tightened until I felt the crush washer flatten and a touch more. Likely a hair over 11ft lbs honestly.

11 just seemed ridiculously light to me but a lot of people go just to that. No sure what the reason for plug blow out is; think they get loose and rattle around and get popped out.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

big dad

Established Member
As a retired Tech. Ford does not recommend that you use anti-seize on the plug threads, use your own discretion. When I changed plugs on any vehicles I always used WD-40 sprayed on the threads after gapping them. Then I would install them by hand with a rubber vacuum line until they stopped, then I would lightly tighten them with an additional 1/32 pull on the 3/8" rachet. I assume anyone reading this knows what I'm conveying here.

The biggest problem is when these plugs are changed to frequently and overtightened resulting in thread fatigue, which finally results in the threads stripping, a common problem. There's nothing wrong with checking the tightness of the plugs from time to time, the real problem is to much repetition and overdoing it. Once a year checking is sufficient. I would advise common sense in this matter to avert future unnecessary problems.

MG0h3

Established Member
I’ve heard both on the antiseize. Do thy recommend against it due to the plug blow out issue/lack of threads and the antiseize almost acting as a lube? Or if not what’s the reasoning?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
My thinking is the anti-seize has more to do with torque values. Any kind of material on the threads changes the torque needed to tighten something. I've always run anti-seize on my plugs. Especially on my old Expedition and the wife's old GT. Let's not forget that the engineers at Ford thought it would be a good idea to go with a two piece plug and give them 100k mile service interval.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread