New Sous Vide tool!

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Always looking for a faster & better way to finish off my Sous Vide steaks.

At first I just used a hot cast iron skillet. It worked okay, but was a bit messy and caused a lot of smoke in the kitchen.

I switched to a Searzall and that worked good, but it was slow! Took too long to sear more than a couple steaks.

Then I got a wild hair and bought one of those propane torches they use for killing weeds. That baby put out some serious BTU's and could sear a side of beef in seconds. However it seemed to impart a small gas flavor to the meat.

Well I finally found a tool that beats them all! It's handheld like the Searzall, but way more powerful! It's called the Sou-V Gun by GrillBlazer. It's a bit on the pricey side, but it works flawlessly and is a must have for Sous Vide addicts like myself.

U.M.

View attachment 1632581
Where’d you buy it from? Thanks!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I love watching Guga and SVE. It is only my wife and I, so a searzall works out well. However, I need another circulator as mine does not get the bath hot enough in a decent amount of time to cook vegetables.
How old is it?

If it's more than a year old, try running it for an hour in a 50/50 water/vinegar mix. If you have hard water it can clog up the element and the unit will struggle to keep the water warm/hot.

I saw a relatively significant performance improvement when I did that with mine.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
What make/model are you using, and what temp are you trying to reach?

U.M.
It is an Anova AN400-10 750W. I was trying to get it to 185*, took like an hour or so to get it to 180*
How old is it?

If it's more than a year old, try running it for an hour in a 50/50 water/vinegar mix. If you have hard water it can clog up the element and the unit will struggle to keep the water warm/hot.

I saw a relatively significant performance improvement when I did that with mine.
It was fairly new when I tried it, probably had 10 cooks at 125-135* for 1-2 1/2 hrs prior to the vegetable attempt. The fact that it is only 750W is what is limiting it I assume.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It is an Anova AN400-10 750W. I was trying to get it to 185*, took like an hour or so to get it to 180*

It was fairly new when I tried it, probably had 10 cooks at 125-135* for 1-2 1/2 hrs prior to the vegetable attempt. The fact that it is only 750W is what is limiting it I assume.
I see.

I think mine might be a bit more powerful than that, I don't remember which model, I recall it getting to 190 relatively easily (I wasn't cooking anything, just messing around).

I did find a formula for that though.

Watts = 3.1 x gallons x Delta T (temp) / time (hours)

Figure you're trying to heat up 4 gallons of water from 75 to 185, with 100% efficiency it would take 1.8 hours. Since 100% efficiency doesn't exist, it's going to be a minimum of 2 hours assuming your heat losses aren't too bad.

If you're cooking veggies often it might even be worth it to jump to a 1200w model and run that shit in a cooler to mitigate heat losses.

Users who are viewing this thread