new sizes of skinnies available soon.

hopony

Established Member
So this week I am at my company's annual meeting and they were talking about new oe tire sizes. It looks like many manufacturers are trying to save weight byaking front tires narrow. Examples I saw were 175/60r18 and they also had a narrow 20 but I don't remember the exact size.

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF MANY SECRETS
Established Member
That sounds good, but my question is this. Who makes a 18x4.5 skinny wheel?

I think what most people are wanting is a radial skinny tire that is 27" - 28" tall and properly load rated for these cars when running the 17" skinnies. I have multiple friends, including myself, who want a 28" tall radial skinny tire for the common 17x4.5 and 17x5" wheels.

Right now, there are only a hand full of 28" tires available for the 17" skinnies. The best one out there IMO, is the M&H bias ply 28" tall tire, but it's a bias ply. Perfect on the track, kinda dicey on the street if you're not used to bias plys.

I'd love a 185 or 195/65-17 radial that will handle the load rating on these cars.
Just my O2's worth.

Patrick

Torchy

Established Member
That sounds good, but my question is this. Who makes a 18x4.5 skinny wheel?

I think what most people are wanting is a radial skinny tire that is 27" - 28" tall and properly load rated for these cars when running the 17" skinnies. I have multiple friends, including myself, who want a 28" tall radial skinny tire for the common 17x4.5 and 17x5" wheels.

Right now, there are only a hand full of 28" tires available for the 17" skinnies. The best one out there IMO, is the M&H bias ply 28" tall tire, but it's a bias ply. Perfect on the track, kinda dicey on the street if you're not used to bias plys.

I'd love a 185 or 195/65-17 radial that will handle the load rating on these cars.
Just my O2's worth.

Patrick
Times one thousand. Def need a radial 28inch skinny

99arboC

Established Member
I saw the new BMW I3 at the frankfurt auto show and it had some crazy tires sizes.

The i3 has footprint the size of the 1 Series. It boasts a small turning circle of 32.2ft due to narrow 155/70/19 sized tires on 19-inch light-alloy wheels, which are claimed to have a contact patch of a more conventional 16-inch tire. 50-50 weight distribution and electric power steering also help create a vehicle that is extremely nimble in tight city situations.

Read more: 2014 BMW i3 Specs, Pricing and Release Date Announced - European Car

phil h

Established Member
Mickey Thompson is just about to release a 28 inch radial front runner for a 17inch wheel. I believe they are saying april now as it has been pushed back a few times. Tires are in QC from what the M/T rep said the other day.

hopony

Established Member
Well we supply the tires for the i3 and it comes with 3 different rim a 18, 19, and a 20. If one manufacturer is going this route to make cafe standards I sure others will. So I can easily see one of these cars having a 17 inch radial we can use.

Users who are viewing this thread