New Shifter Questions ???

IEATPORSCHE

Established Member
:read:
I am thinking about getting a Pro 5.0 shifter after trying one in a friend's 86 Mustang GT. I would like to do the install myself. Is it fairly easy? How long does it take? Any special tools? Any tech instructions on the Web that I can access?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Pro 5.0 is a good choice. No special tools are needed, and I forget the exact size sockets you need, but I know it's no big deal. I believe you have to remove 4 bolts to get the shifter boot off, then another 4 bolts that hold the shifter in the trans. You may need a screwdiver to pry the shifter base loose from the trans, then lift it out and be sure to locate the nylon bushing. I've done 3 shifters and this bushing has always been attached to the bottom of the stock shifter when I remove it. Remove it by simply pulling it off, check it for any signs of damage/wear on the bushing, then if it's ok, slide it on the new shifter. Bolt the new shifter in and set the stops on it to avoid overengaging gears. I do this by putting the shifter in a gear towards the dash(1st or 3rd), applying some pressure to it and adjusting the stop nut so that it just about touches the shifter, then turn the second nut to the first to lock them together. Repeat this process for the gears (2nd or 4th will work) that are towards you. You only need to do this once in each direction forward and back, not for all 5 gears and reverse. Just figure on using 2nd for back and 3rd for forward and you should be fine. Take the car for a 'beat' to make sure it shifts into all gears w/ no probs and when you know all is cool, reinstall the shifter boot.

It's been a while, but I'm fairly certain on the 86 you have a plastic cover you need to remove before you can access the boot bolts. I *think* you just pull it off and snap it back on when the swap is complete. That's all I can remember. Hope it helps!

Oh yeah, forgot this. Unscrew the shifter knob FIRST!:idea:

Last edited:

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Oooooops! Sorry 'bout that. I read your post and well, you know. Anyway, I installed a PRO-5.0 in my '95 and it wasn't a big deal either. I'd have to think the 99's are just about like my '95.:D

Users who are viewing this thread