New SCT Tuner. What would you do?

Nbrac27

Established Member
Hey guys, I have a question that I've tried searching for an accurate answer on but cant really find any results. I just recently bought a SCT BDX tuner for my Terminator because I plan to do long tubes and port my blower in the not to distant future. However my question is, I have no idea if the car currently has a tune on it. It has an after market pulley and idler, intake, uncatted X pipe and Catback , and has since buying it run completely fine (which leads me to assume it does have a tune?) I bought it from a dealer so I couldn't ask the previous owner. The car is boosting well over 10lbs since a hard pull in 3rd gear will bury the needle on the boost gauge past the 10lbs mark so that also leads me to believe its tuned? (I come from the STI / WRX world so that's why I assume it is.) And also the car doesnt throw an CEL without the cats so that also leads me to believe it's been tuned?

So back to the orginial question, what would you do in this situation? Should I marry my new tuner and load one of the tunes that came with it and then get it retuned with a custom one specifically for the car? Will doing that possibly be a problem? Should I get a custom tune first before marrying it? (Not sure if thats possible?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Nick

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Personally I'd wait until the other stuff is installed and then get a custom tune for that. In the mean time I'd at least put the car on a dyno and make sure the current tune is safe.

Also, the boost gauge is pegged because of the pulley on the blower. It has nothing to do with the tune. You can't increase the boost through the tune in these cars. It takes a smaller blower pulley or larger crank pulley.

Nbrac27

Established Member
Okay so is there no way to marry the tuner to the car without losing the possible current tune? So at least that way I can monitor other stuff with the tuner like the A/F ratio and voltage and what not?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The tuner would replace whatever tune is currently in the ECU with whatever tune is in the hand held. It would save the current tune in the place reserved for the stock tune.

Yes, you can use it to datalog. But you need a wideband to monitor A/F.

Nbrac27

Established Member
Okay so just to be positive I'm understanding this, as long as theres no custom tune in the handheld then marrying it wont actually do any harm because the current tune will just be saved as 'stock' since there isnt actually a stock tune on it?

And okay so these arent like the Cobb Tuners where itll monitor the A/F ratio for you as well?

01yellercobra

Established Member
You marry the hand held to the car by loading whatever tune is in the hand held to the car. So you don't just marry it to marry it. I wouldn't do anything at this point as the whatever tune is in the hand held probably isn't as good as what's in the car currently.

That's not because if the Cobb tuner. That's because the cars ECU uses widebands. These cars use narrow band sensors and only monitor A/F during part throttle. The ECU doesn't use them at all during WOT. Hence the need for a separate wideband. Personally I'd get a wideband either way. Its nice to be able to monitor things while driving around.

Last edited:

Turbostang91

Established Member
You can use the sct to monitor and datalog without marrying the device. You would need to connect the wideband to the sct device so it can be monitor thru the device.

Since the car is running fine most likely has a tune already so I wouldn’t use a tune that is in the device. Just wait to install parts then get it tuned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Don't waste any time.....get a quality wideband with datalogging capability installed asap. That expensive powerplant is flying blind right now. I'd shy away from beating on the car until you do. Add your mods. Then let the data decide if a custom tune revision is necessary. "Canned" tunes are typically garbage. Odds are the data will prove a custom tune from a reputable tuner is necessary for both safety and performance.

Nbrac27

Established Member
Okay so I can datalog and monitor all aspects with the tuner without marrying it?

And I'm planning to get a wideband soon, I used a PLX with my STI and it was incredible so one is on the way for the Cobra. From there I'm planning to get my tune from 04Sleeper since everyone has incredible things to say about this work

Users who are viewing this thread