New SAE horsepower rating

Scott A.

New Cobraholic
Established Member
I have been reading about this new way of rating horsepower lately. I don't know all the details but if the new GT500 is at 500 ponies now, what would the numbers be before? And using the same comparo, what do you think my stock 240 horse would be with the new way of rating? :shrug:

94CobraPace

Established Member
The new rating for the new Shelby was for the car had more HP than they thought. The original numbers for the Shelby was 475. After they built some & tested them they were getting the new number of 500. This the only new rating I've heard of?
Not sure of any other new way to rate the HP.

Scott A.

New Cobraholic
Established Member
I read all the major mags, like Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Automobile, and of course I subscribe to 5.0 and Muscle Mustang! I just read some where in one of mags that the NEW way of determining what the horsepower figure will be is a different system than before. Like back in 1970 with the LS6 454 in the Chevelle was RATED at 450 horse, thats just a number they came up with using some formula right. Well, from what I read the formula has changed, I just didn't know if it was comparably a lower number, or a higher number. I think its like comparing Metric to standard. Just thought I would bring up a topic to chat about no big deal!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
the older cars were highly overrated back in the 70s, as far as hp/tq goes. due to how they used to factor the ratings.
I'm not aware of any new way though.

Users who are viewing this thread