New project

94CobraPace

Established Member
Long :) Hint 331.. Cam recomedations.
My next project for the Cobra is building a 331 stroker with 185 AFR heads... I got a Scat 331 stroker kit, crank, forged KB pistons & rods ( I believe it is the 9000 series kit) for a very very good price (over 1/2 off). The kit was assembled but not started. I got a block at the machine shop now and will take the rotating assembly with flywheel & balancer (both 28 oz) to get it all balanced. I've had the AFR 185 heads for almost 9 months waiting, didn't think they would fit the stock short block pistons. Gonna put them to good use now. I already got some Clevite hard bearings and will be getting the other paripnaila the comming weeks. I'm looking for a Cobra lower intake to send to TMoss for porting, keep the Cobra intake. I'm still undecided on the cam. The local Mustang shop recomended a E 303 cam, they said they don't like Crane cams? But I'm have not rules out the Crane 2031 cobra cam (I believe it is a reduced base cam requiring different push rods). Need something emissions legal that will not mess with the picky 94\95 computer. The pistons are flat tops with relief and depending on where the piston is in the block with the 61 CC heads, I'm looking at compression ratio of around 9.2 to 9.7, will know when I check it. Might have to go with thicker Cometic head gaskets, .060" over the .045" to bring the compression ratio down closer to 9.

148318.jpg

96569.jpg

I'm looking to make over 300 rwhp, and hoping for over 325 NA. Then add the Powerdyne supercharger with the 9 lb pully after the motor has been broke in. No more boost with the compression ratio & the Powerdyne is maxed out, impeller speed. The powerdyne added 95 rwhp to the stock motor, from 255 rwhp to 345 rwhp. I have a set of 36 lb injectors with matching MAF meter, but will need a GT computer or have my Cobra computer tuned for the 36'ers. Not sure who or when I will get it dyno tuned with a chip, might run it safe (will be checked on a dyno) for a little while with no tune, while I save for a dyno tune. Funds are tight.
I'll get the long block completed, then remove the stock 131k engine, then storing the original long block. I'm hoping to get it all done by FFW in early May.
My goal is over 400 rwhp.
I know a custom cam would be the best, but time & funds are a issue.
What do you think? Think I wil make my goal?
Opions? Comments. On cam?

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
Looks like a fun project. One of these days i would like to tare my engine down and rebuild it. As for time it all depends on how fast you work lol. GL man

Users who are viewing this thread