New PMAS mass air kit is ready

lightngsvt

Established Member
My 93 was the truck chosen for the final design and testing of the kit. My truck is actually using the A9M out of my 91 Mustang GT rather than the more common A9L, the A9P should work too.

I can say for sure the kit exists, works great, is easy to install and will be available soon. I believe the only thing preventing them from starting shipments to their vendors are that they are still waiting for some of the components to arrive from their suppliers. My truck came home yesterday after spending some time with PMAS and then a trip to the dyno. As far as pricing, it's still being finalized but they should know next week.

This is a very clean, factory looking kit and you'd be hard pressed to tell it was engineered by Ford. The guys at PMAS did a great job designing this kit and many people probably couldnt tell it isnt stock. This is not in any way like the PRO-M kit and was a clean sheet design. **This kit waill also work on standard F150's and Broncos w/E4OD, AODE or 4R70W trans' too.** The kit from PMAS includes everything except the meter and A9L:

*converter box and wiring harness (stock 60 pin plugs into the box, the box plugs into the A9L)
*Baumanator trans controller (very slick device!)
*wiring harness for then Baumanator box
*serial cable and software with base tune for the the Baumanator
*O2 bungs and plug (A9L needs 2 O2 sensors)
*O2 harness
*MAF harness
*injector harness

Most people can find an A9L pretty easily. I think most vendors will either package the kit with a meter or allow the customer the choice of which meter they want to go with. We chose the PMAS Velocity meter which I believe will support over 1000hp. PMAS made a custom intake tube out of chromemoly for my truck and also installed an EGR simulator ($25) as the A9L will throw codes without it or a functioning EGR system.

Installation is pretty simple and will take the average Lightning enthusiast about 1.5 - 2 hours. You need to pull the stock computer and replace it with the A9L, connect the converter box to the A9L, attach the velcro to the fuse box and mount the converter box and then connect your stock 60 pin harness. next run the mass air and injector harnesses (this kit leaves the stock injector harness alone so you could easily switch back to stock), then install the O2 bung on the drivers side exhaust, install the O2 sensor, mount up your meter, install the Baumanator in the cab with velcro, connect the supplied harness, plug it all in and off you go (in a nutshell).

My truck is far from stock and just installing the kit with no tuning made a night and day difference. The truck has a 396 with 11:1 compression, Canfield heads, Pickrel long tubes/exhaust, .555 lift roller cam, 1.6 roller rockers, ported GT40 lower intake, 30lb injectors, 255lph in-tank pump, with the SD I had a number of drivability issues which no longer exist. It fires right up, settles into a smooth idle with good AF's, the throttle response is much improved, no more stalling or hesitations. Now I dont know the differences between the A9L and the A9M but my truck did still need some WOT tuning because it was a bit lean, but unllike SD the idle and part throttle drivability is as good or better than stock now. Keep in mind my engine is making 397hp (325 on the dyno) with a very restricted intake (pulled 7" vacuum at WOT) and high compression (will probably be closer to 430 when its sorted out), so guys with blowers or more mild combos might not need any tuning, but Id recommend a dyno session to be safe.

lightngsvt

Established Member
Gratuitous truck on dyno shot
93onDyno.jpg

Back home safe and sound. An overhead view
IMG_9817.JPG

Engine compartment shot showing the custom built intake tube and mass air setup
IMG_9819.JPG

Close up showing how clean the install looks in the engine bay
IMG_9822.JPG

IMG_9792.JPG

Close up of the Velocity meter
IMG_9796.JPG

Hard to see but this is the overlay injector harness mixed in with the stock harnesses
IMG_9798.JPG

Close up of the converter box between the stock 60 pin and the A9L
IMG_9800.JPG

Velcro attachment to the fuse box
IMG_9802.JPG

Baumanator harness and hole driiled to run it into the cab
IMG_9803.JPG

Trying to show the harness going into the A9L so you can see how clean the install is
IMG_9808.JPG

EGR simulator plug in the factory EGR connector
IMG_9809.JPG

The box on the back of the plastic shield is the Baumanator. We mounted it here with velcro. Keeps it out of sight yet is is easy to hook up the serial cable to tweak the transmission
IMG_9813.JPG

smilinjack

Established Member
Hey Lightngsvt, sweet setup! I've been interested in converting my 95 for quite a while now but have not seen a setup I liked, until now. I see your a home Stater so hopefully if I move forward with this I could actually get a peek at your creation. Does this setup make it totally tunable with a chip? Mine is basically stock (100 shot and a shift kit). What really bugs me is a hesitation in the rev that tuners have told me will not go away with SD. I'd really like to add a few bolt ons and get her goin' like I think she can. My real hot rod is my 2000L but I have a special place in my heart for the old timer. Appreciate any suggestions or info you could share. Thanks, Jack

Built Ford

Established Member
This is a nice set up and I'm quite interested in it. I don;t have a 5.7 but my 5.0 has mild mods but needs the mass air setup badly. what did you mean includes everything but the meter? Also is there a web sit to keep up with information on this set up? thanks for the help. Matthew.

Users who are viewing this thread