new phone time, anyone have these?

dead man walkin

Established Member
Looks like its time for me to get a new phone, my bionic is dying.. I've narrowed it down to; samsung s4, Samsung note 3, droid Maxx, or HTC one, any one currently using one of these and can give the highs and lows?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 I think and I think its so big its hard to talk on. Its almost a mini tablet, which is great for something but sometimes impractical as a phone and requires two hands to text.

Overall, she likes it though. Interestingly though, her $300 Note 2 after rebates doesn't fully work with our MyFordTouch on some features while my Motorola Electrify ($50 after rebates) works with everything.

Posted via Topify using Android

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
My wife has the S4 and loves it. I don't think can really go wrong with any of the phones you listed because they will perform more or less within the same ballpark.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Looks like its time for me to get a new phone, my bionic is dying.. I've narrowed it down to; samsung s4, Samsung note 3, droid Maxx, or HTC one, any one currently using one of these and can give the highs and lows?

I'm guessing you're on Verizon since you have a bionic and are mentioning the Droid.

How big do you like your phones? All the ones you've mentioned are pretty sizeable. Go to the store and check them out to see what size you like, or find friends that have them.

The only thing I've really heard about any of them is a bit of lag from the S4 due to the touchwiz software.

I have the Moto X. If you want a smaller phone that still works fast as hell, check it out. If you need a bigger screen, I'd say go with the Droid Maxx since the software is about identical to my X. Very basic android experience without the gimmicks that HTC and Samsung put on their phones. The active notifications and touchless controls are the best features ever on cell phone, honestly.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
If you want the best of everything I'd go with the Note 3. It might seem big at first but then you forget about it and the only people who notice are people who never seen a Note device.

92LX302

Established Member
Sold them this summer (working for Telus, summer student job). Note 3 wasn't on the market yet, but according to the comments of my customers, the HTC seems to be the favorite. I personnally run an older HTC, the One X+. As soon as my contract expire, I might go with the One or whatever will be their new model then.

I often sold brand new S4 that had reception issues. Had to trade them on warranty.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I have the htc one. The only I wish it had was clearer distant pics. The nokia 920 had great night shots at 8mp, I am not sure why htc could not do the same thing.
The htc one is a great price now at costco.

If I would pick one up today I would pick the lg 2.

If you dont mind windows os the nokia 1020 with a 41 mp camera might be worth a look as well. I just dont like the win os.:beer:

92LX302

Established Member
I have the htc one. The only I wish it had was clearer distant pics. The nokia 920 had great night shots at 8mp, I am not sure why htc could not do the same thing.
The htc one is a great price now at costco.

If I would pick one up today I would pick the lg 2.

If you dont mind windows os the nokia 1020 with a 41 mp camera might be worth a look as well. I just dont like the win os.:beer:

I love the 1020. But as you said, Windows Phone take some time to get used to.

The LG2 back button is driving me crazy every time I have to work with one :fm:

HandBanana

Established Member
I'm a fan of the 1020, if they keep that 41mp camera on the new Windows phones, I will be picking one of those up next spring when my contract runs out. Have an iPhone 5 currently, no complaints. Works great but the new update SUCKS.

mjs1012

Established Member
Ive had the S4 for about a month after having an iphone for 4 years and I love it.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I have an HTC One. Camera worked great in all situations until a few months ago when they screwed it up with an update - now it doesn't stay focused correctly when there isn't anything within about 5 ft of the camera. Really sucks. Low light close range is still much better than my wife's SG3 and video is still excellent. I would get rid of it and try the 1020, but too many apps missing on Windows OS.

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
If you don't want Note 3 big, the Nexus 5 and LG G2 are both very nice phones. I'm leaving Sprint and getting my buddies AT&T S3 til I find a good deal on the either 2 phones mentioned.

kaotic

Established Member
If you go with a note 3, you will quickly get used to the size. I was playing with my GS3 the other day and it felt small. If you aren't going to go with a case and premium materials matter to you then I would recommend an HTC One. Otherwise I would go with a note 3 or an LG G2 like the size, the buttons on the back is just something to get used to.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
If you want the best of everything I'd go with the Note 3. It might seem big at first but then you forget about it and the only people who notice are people who never seen a Note device.

I still laugh at people every time I see someone using a Note 2/3. And now I can get even more laughs when the HTC One Maxx and Xperia Z1 come out.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Well funny enough, my Note II bricked on a Verizon update today so they are sending me a new one. I'm glad because I accidently dinged mine up when I was using it as a flash light to work on the car, LOL. Ironically enough, my Verizon hotspot device stopped working today too so sending me a new one of those as well. Not a good day for devices.

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
I've had the driod max HD for a while now and no issues whatsoever. I really enjoy the battery life. I've had many HTC phones and they all turned out to be crap. Don't think I would ever buy one ever again.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Just bought the HTC One after having owned an S3 for 9 months.
IMO, there is no comparison between Sense and Touchwiz, I absolutely hate the cartoony looks of TW and Sense 5 runs much more smoothly.

Phone speakers should be on the front. This should be a government regulation or something, it's way better.

Battery life is much better than the S3 but nowhere near as good as the Note 3 or Droid Maxx, if battery life is the most important thing to you, get one of those two.

The screen is fantastic, easily the best mobile screen I've ever seen and the only one that comes close is the G2.

The build quality is by far the best i've ever seen on a Android phone, but if you're gonna put a case on it then that makes little to no difference.

Honestly because of how much I detest TW and how far behind the Droid Maxx is as far as screen quality, the HTC One is the only one on that list I'd even look at.

Users who are viewing this thread