new pb bolt on 08 gt500

mustangtw

Established Member
Finally broke into the 6s last weekend with my 2.6 upper only stock eaton 08 gt500. Only power mods were the upper pulley, intake, off road xpipe, and tune. Car ran like a rapped ape and I had a blast. Planning on doing some front shocks, WOT box, and maybe some 3.73 gears to replace the stock 3.31 to see if I can bring down the time a little more. :rockon:

699timeslip_zps7cb8ce57.jpg

Mods at the time of this pass were:

2.6 pulley (13lbs of boost)
jlt 123mm intake
lethal orx pipe with mbrp axle back
Custom sct tune
mgw shifter
steeda lca and uca
dynotech aluminum driveshaft
racestar slicks and skinnys

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Excellent job. That's a high 10.8 in the 1/4 mile. The 60' got it done for you. Can you post your launch RPM and air pressure in your slicks? Assume you're running MT 26" tall ET Drags?

mustangtw

Established Member
Excellent job. That's a high 10.8 in the 1/4 mile. The 60' got it done for you. Can you post your launch RPM and air pressure in your slicks? Assume you're running MT 26" tall ET Drags?

Thanks!! I was running 26" Hoosier slicks at 13psi, launch rpm was around 4800 I believe. I usually try to keep it between 4500 and 5000. :rockon:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Well done. I'm always impressed at even the early gt500's performance with such limited mods.

mustangtw

Established Member
Well done. I'm always impressed at even the early gt500's performance with such limited mods.

Yea me too, I had to have a port and run 16psi in my old 03 to run in the 6s. The gt500s, in my opinion, are faster mod for mod than the 03-04 cobras. My car made 574rwhp with just an intake, 2.6 upper, and orx. :rockon:

IronTerp

Yea me too, I had to have a port and run 16psi in my old 03 to run in the 6s. The gt500s, in my opinion, are faster mod for mod than the 03-04 cobras. My car made 574rwhp with just an intake, 2.6 upper, and orx. :rockon:
TW, your horsepower and track results are not typical for 07-09 GT500's with your modifications. Upper pullied GT500's generally produce 530-540 RWHP. You have a very strong running GT500 and your 60' time and very strong driving has produced a result that has not really happened much. Like to see what your 1/4 mile results would be because the number of times a GT500 has run 10's with your mods can be counted with your thumbs. Mod for mod GT500s tend to produce 80 more RWHP than their Terminator brethren. Obviously, some of this power advantage is eaten up with the extra weight of the GT500's.

Poppacapp

Established Member
TW, your horsepower and track results are not typical for 07-09 GT500's with your modifications. Upper pullied GT500's generally produce 530-540 RWHP. You have a very strong running GT500 and your 60' time and very strong driving has produced a result that has not really happened much. Like to see what your 1/4 mile results would be because the number of times a GT500 has run 10's with your mods can be counted with your thumbs. Mod for mod GT500s tend to produce 80 more RWHP than their Terminator brethren. Obviously, some of this power advantage is eaten up with the extra weight of the GT500's.

I think it is more common than known.... maybe most don't post their rwhp numbers.. not sure, but my 12' with ONLY 2.6 upper pulley and dyno tune made 558rwhp/574tq sae. I have a JLT carbon intake tube, but not the cold air.. stock maf.

Edit: Everything else power wise is stock on the car... stock full exhaust too with oem cats.. offroad pipes and lower 10% are my next power mods, along with 127mm cold air.

Last edited:

sneakysnake03

SVT
Established Member

Well there goes his head won't ever be able to tell him anything. :nonono:

mustangtw

Established Member

Yea I get what your saying, but I think rwhp has alot to do with the tune and weather conditions. My car is almost 3 tenths slower in 80-90deg weather than in 50-60 deg weather. I come from a background racing my old 03, so I applied the same principals I used running that car, which involved a good cool down cycle between runs and a good air fuel of 11.8:1 with 23 deg max timing. I also agree that driver skill has a lot to do with it as well.

DEMARCO313

Established Member
Yea I get what your saying, but I think rwhp has alot to do with the tune and weather conditions. My car is almost 3 tenths slower in 80-90deg weather than in 50-60 deg weather. I come from a background racing my old 03, so I applied the same principals I used running that car, which involved a good cool down cycle between runs and a good air fuel of 11.8:1 with 23 deg max timing. I also agree that driver skill has a lot to do with it as well.

Nice driving and time op. Thats a pretty aggressive tune. What gas are you running? I assume not 93?

IronTerp

Absolutely. But that's why folks like to see horsepower results displayed in SAE which is corrected for atmospheric conditions. And no doubt that density altitude is huge for our supercharged applications. But your results speak for themselves and certainly show the importance of a good 60' time to ET.

Users who are viewing this thread