New PB at PBIR

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
I made a few passes at Palm Beach International Raceway this weekend, and all though I STILL am not in the 12's I had to settle for a 13.02:bash: with the mods in my sig.

I am running nitto drags set at 20psi. I have been told by many people not to do a John Force burnout, rather to just "dust" them off. It seemed to work ok, but I still feel like I can improve my launch. My best 60ft. was 1.8, which is what got me the 13.02.

Now for the questions: What is everyone's opinion on the Hotchkis TVS for drag racing? Should I consider some drag springs? Also, what rpm should I be launching at, or is it best to just roll into the launch.:read:

Oh, last question... Shortly after doing a burn out, as I am rolling up to the line, my truck seems to idle rough. Is this normal? As soon as I give it a little rev, the rough idle goes away.

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
CONGRATS UR SO CLOSE....
get a set of slicks and you'll hit your 12.xx.. do you have traction bars? if not i would be launching at 1600 or 1800 rpm.. i launched at 1800 on my 16 MT et streets and ran a best in the 1/8 of 8.4 with a 1.91 60ft i dunno what it equals to on 1/4 mile.. as of suspension i dont know i have 2" shackles and removed a leaf on the rear it launches real good...
th_MOV01748.jpg

DolSVT00

Established Member
I have a buddy (chrisheltra on here) that drag races on the TVS with cal-tracs and slicks he has cut some ok 60's with them so I wouldn't think that there a problem.

I cut my best 60 times on slicks leaving at 1000-1200 rpm (1.690 60') with the stock converter.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
I cut my best 60 times on slicks leaving at 1000-1200 rpm (1.690 60') with the stock converter.

Nice 60'...

I forgot to add, the truck does have traction bars, I'm just wondering if it would be in my interest to pick up a pair of drag springs for the front. I guess next time I will be dropping the spare tire and possibly removing the tailgate.

fishingfox

Established Member
I am running nitto drags set at 20psi. I have been told by many people not to do a John Force burnout, rather to just "dust" them off.

Oh, last question... Shortly after doing a burn out, as I am rolling up to the line, my truck seems to idle rough. Is this normal? As soon as I give it a little rev, the rough idle goes away.

Congrats! I had a bunch of 13.0X slips before I finally broke into the 12's.

My experience with Nitto DR's is that you have to heat the crap out of them. The best results were with a hard burn-out until the tires got hot and started to stick and pull the RPM's down. That seemed to be the sweet spot. When the RPM's started to drop I would release it and roll to the start line. PSI in the 18 to 20 lb. range seemed to work best.

I never experienced the idle issue.

hth

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
JDM , has the drag springs on sale right now. Those and some adj. shocks up front will help.

Sounds like I may have a new box on my door step soon.

Quick question though... I was looking at the shocks but unfortunately they are a little too fat for my wallet right now. Is it worth my time to get the springs without the shocks, or should I just wait until I can get both?:shrug:

leach

Silver Fox
Established Member
Sounds like I may have a new box on my door step soon.

Quick question though... I was looking at the shocks but unfortunately they are a little too fat for my wallet right now. Is it worth my time to get the springs without the shocks, or should I just wait until I can get both?:shrug:
You could do the springs first. Check out Summit racing or Paradise racing for better pricing on the shocks. But try to get the drag springs while they are on sale.

SVT2122

Established Member
I love my TVS for drag racing, got my best 60 after swapping my stock suspension for it. 1.78 on 555r's.

How are you guys launching at 1600 or 1800 with out a stall? I launch at 900-1000, I've tried launching at the stock stall and it just spins first and second. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread