new paint

sweet86

Established Member
Just wondering what the best wax to use on brand new clear. Car was painted about a month ago and need something to protect it now. And also cover up some of the sand scratches.

Thanks
Kyle

Satyr

Established Member
From the "experts" I have heard from when I researched painting, you should be waiting much longer than a month before you start putting waxes/sealers on.

Mizzell5000

65 Mustang Master
Established Member
You need to wait atleast 3 months after getting your car painted 4 months to be on the safe side

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Is the car stored inside or out?

And wth...shouldn't have any sanding scratches. You can buff those out and if you have any remaining wetsanding marks, the shop should take them out. If you don't trust them you can do it yourself with patience.

Are you seeing actually wetsand scratches or a bad rotary hologram/buffing job? (swirls).

sweet86

Established Member
The car is stored inside but i drive it and im just wanting some protection. Seems like every time i touch the car it scratches it. I did all the paint work it was my first car i have done and there still afew scratches from wet sanding they are not bad at all but i know they are there. When the time comes i would like to know what is the best wax on new paint job.

Thanks
Kyle

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
There is no perfect answer; but if you can wait and apparently the paint is soft; stick with something like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze for just a little while.

Try to put the car outside on some pretty days and let it 'air' and get some sun (even though it's winter) to help it cure a little since I'm guessing you didn't spray the car in a booth w/heat lamps...

Wax wise, if it's a garage queen, any carnauba will work well. P21S/S100 can often be found at your local Harley shops and is a great 'nuba that is better than anything over the counter and Harley dealers are pretty easy to come by these days.

Anything from Collinite is super-durable. 845IW; or 476S (liquid/paste respectively).

#26 from Meg's can also be found at most chains now, back in the autobody repair sections (not usually with the normal waxes).

If you're willing to shop online there are tons of boutique waxes and each has it's own 'look' that is a little different from the next. Then there are Sealants, which look ok, but generally suck at preventing natural contaminants from bonding to the paint (IMO).

sweet86

Established Member
Im gonna try and get that collinite 8451 and see how that does. BTW the car was sprayed i. A booth but it is very soft yet for some reason hoping it hardens up a little.

Thanks for all the help and the good input
Kyle

Users who are viewing this thread