New Paint/ Detailing

Sitnlopro99gt

Established Member
Folks,

I recently got my truck bed repainted and want to know your thoughts on clay bar and waxing? Is it a myth to wait a few months for the clear to cure even though it's baked in a booth? Do I have to clay bar it? I have only driven it about 300 miles since the work was done and it is garage kept. Thanks for any advice. R/ Dan

Last edited:

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
My dad his entire truck repainted at the beginning of the year, and wanted me to seal and wax it with my pc, but the painter said to wait 45-60 days before hitting it with a pc. But as far as just claying it and waxing it idk.

flamedstang95

Gettin' Dirty
Established Member
I'm not sure what a good timetable is after a paint job. I've always been told 45-60 days too. I only question it because some shops wet sand and buff vehicles after the paint job before returning it to the customer. PM TransAxle, he'd be able to answer your question for sure.

COBRAGUY95

Freshly Squeezed
Established Member
No need to clay bar since there is no contaminants in the fresh paint. I would let it set in the sun as much as possible and let it cure out. I think 3 months without a doubt would be safe. Just my opinion.

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member
I always wet sand buff my paint after its cured for a day. I also put a coat of wax on it. No clay bar needed for that fresh of paint. Just wash an wax like usual.

A lot of people say wax can trap anything in that wants to get out. I've never had any issues with how I've done it. And I've probably painted/wet sand and buffed 500+ cars

shad2009

Tungsten GT
Established Member
theres no need to clay or polish...unless it's a hand polish...you can wax with carnauba, no sealing yet

Users who are viewing this thread