New Owner...stock boost gauge only sometimes shows boost?

Gucci_Mane

Established Member
New owner here of a 2004 Cobra. When I test drove the car, the stock gauge worked fine. I got the car home today, drive great, love the car. Was home for a few hours and went out to get a bite to eat. I notice that sometimes the boost gauge will show boost, but other times it won't. If I stab the gas, it will show boost, but if I ease into the throttle upwards of 5k RPMs, sometimes it doesnt show boost. Is something wrong?

I know the car is running good and can hear the blower loud and clear. Loose wire or something? At what RPM does the car build boost?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
It will only build boost under a load. So if you are cruising at 5k rpm, not accelerating I dont think there would be any boost, maybe a slight amount. Sounds like your gauge is working just fine to me. If you do a WOT pull 1-3 and the guage stays pegged then you know its working.

insane99svt

Established Member
It is always building boost but the higher the rpm the more the engine needs so it will not actually build pressure above what the engine is taking if it is at a steady rpm just like he said above it would have to be under a load even turbo cars do this but you can check the boost/vaccum line mine came off once and was still catching the charged air and would read like 4 psi instead of 17psi The hose is behind the s/c towardsthe passenger side I believe mine has a whipple on it I guess they are the same.

Gucci_Mane

Established Member
I think its working fine guys...maybe just a little new owner paranoia..thanks for the responses

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
yep, agreed...you really have to nail it for it to go into boost in 4th...1-3rd different story

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
It has to do with engine load and vacuum. The bypass valve will stay open as long as there is a vacuum, which will hinder or limit the boost. It is completely normal.

Steve2050

Established Member
When i test drove mine, I noticed the boost gauge hardy moved. I asked the previous owner what's up with that and the car sure did not feel like a 390+ hp car.

He answered back " did you have the traction control ON "
I answered back " Yep "
He just laughed.:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread