New owner, questions on power and traction...

TurboX2

Established Member
Hello all,
I picked up an '07 GT500 a couple weeks ago and its a bit mistifying to me.... It has JLT intake, pulley (2.8 I believe), and a tune from Jon Lund. It does feel pretty fast and I clocked a 0-100 in 9.5 seconds. I can't find much to compare directly to, but past experience says thats pretty quick. Here's where I'm stumped..... if I get it moving aggressively in 1st without blazing the tires I can floor it in 1st and it hooks all the way up. Shift fast to 2nd (no powershift), hit 2nd aggressively with the clutch release and I get just a bit of spin then it hooks all the way through 2nd... I think it should be ~500rwhp or so with the mods, doesn't seem possible that it would hook with that much power on radials. I know I should get it to a dyno to see if its making what it should, but even so doesn't seem right... What do some other folks experience? Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about hooking up, just wondering if its making the power it should...

:beer:

edit: Forgot to mention, I've tried it traction control on and off. Does pushing the button once turn it completely off or just go to a different mode?

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Hello all,
I picked up an '07 GT500 a couple weeks ago and its a bit mistifying to me.... It has JLT intake, pulley (2.8 I believe), and a tune from Jon Lund. It does feel pretty fast and I clocked a 0-100 in 9.5 seconds. I can't find much to compare directly to, but past experience says thats pretty quick. Here's where I'm stumped..... if I get it moving aggressively in 1st without blazing the tires I can floor it in 1st and it hooks all the way up. Shift fast to 2nd (no powershift), hit 2nd aggressively with the clutch release and I get just a bit of spin then it hooks all the way through 2nd... I think it should be ~500rwhp or so with the mods, doesn't seem possible that it would hook with that much power on radials. I know I should get it to a dyno to see if its making what it should, but even so doesn't seem right... What do some other folks experience? Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about hooking up, just wondering if its making the power it should...

:beer:

edit: Forgot to mention, I've tried it traction control on and off. Does pushing the button once turn it completely off or just go to a different mode?

Dan

Sounds like heat soak. They heat soak quickly. Make note of the differences when the car is cold versus when the car is warm. What you are talking about sounds like classic timing retard thus the reason why the car hooks because timing is being pulled due to heat. Try it in the morning and after warm and report back. It's likely heat soak.

Van

TurboX2

Established Member
Van,
Thanks for the info. I went out this morning and made a couple pulls while it was still cool, definately seems a little stronger. It hooks initially in 1st then blows the tires off at higher rpm, spun a little more in 2nd but still pretty much hooked in 2nd. I'll try to datalog both cool and hot and see how much difference there is in knock retard. Do the big heat exchangers make much difference on a street car? I had assumed they would mostly be needed for track use...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
My car with pulley, intake, tune, and Revan Racing heat exchanger made 1st gear on stock tires worthless. The difference in power thanks to no heat soak was nice.

You must have some great "street" tires.

Sitting at a red light for any length of time in summer heat before and after the HE upgrade will let you know quick. They are required for street cars too.

Last edited:

TurboX2

Established Member
You must have some great "street" tires.

Ha! I wish there was more to it... The dealer put on new Continental Extreme Contact tires before I bought it, just regular radials 285 wide on the back. I wasn't real happy when I saw 'Continental' on them, not knowing anything about them, but I'm pretty impressed so far. Even had excellent traction in the rain. :shrug:

acobra03

Established Member
If it's the factory tune then you might be experiencing throttle tip in. From what I understand the factory tune pulls timing in between shifts to reduce warranty claims on the drive train. There are a ton of more experienced people on this site, if I'm wrong let me know.

09Vapor

I'm a new owner too... mine is an 09 all stock and does about the same as you what you are experiencing... hooks in 1st and then about 4K blows the tires off... really expected more low end torque... my Kenne Bell blown 2000 GT got first,second and third like it was its job... can't wait to get the pulley, CAI and tune though... these are awesome cars... glad to be a part of the club!

Grabber07'

Established Member
The Continental tires are better than stock, thus why you most likely are getting a bit better traction than lets say me with the stockers.

Heat soak will definitely play a BIG role in power if you like to get in the throttle often.

I have Vans Heat Exchanger and dont have to worry about it anymore. Car pulls like a fright train

Users who are viewing this thread