new oil pump went in less than a month

04silversnake

Established Member
Hello all, this is in my '91 gt. I replaced the stock pump since the original seized and twisted and broke the pump shaft. I got a new one with the standard flow from either Summit or Jegs, cant recall which of the 2, with an ARP hardened shaft. I was driving the car hard and all of the sudden I noticed no oil pressure. Stopped the car and took the distributor out and saw the shaft broken. I cant believe I have to remove the oil pan again, it was a lot of work to do it with engine in the car. I was happy for awhile knowing that the pan leak was gone. But, now this?. Does anyone have an idea why it went bad soo soon? It can only go in one position. Can this be a coincidence that maybe it was bad? :shrug: Also, I primed it prior installing it.
Thanks,
Franck

sled

Established Member
did you use a stock oil pump shaft. these are known for snapping. take the pump off and see if it still works. then go from there.

04silversnake

Established Member
sled said:
is the pump seized again??
I have not remove it yet, I assume it would be seized since the shaft broke in two. I noticed it was broken when I removed the distributor. I will have to wait until I get some time to replace it. I spoke with a mechanic and he told me he would charge me $300 for labor only, parts are separate. I think I will do it.

04silversnake

Established Member
I have done a search on how to remove the oil pan. I have done it using a hoist and bring the engine as high as possible almost touching the firewall, but still have some clearance issues trying to remove the pan. It kind of gets stock thith the transmission. It is doable, but I want to know if there is an easier way of doing it with engine and transmission in the car as well?

04silversnake

Established Member
The mechanic told me that a possible cause for the pump going bad so fast is slodge in the engine. Possible the prior owner did not do the oil changes as often as he was supposed to. He said I can flush the engine with using 2 1/2 motor oil and 2 1/2 diesel fuel and let it idle for 30 minutes, then flush it. Has anyone heard of doing this? Is it safe to mix the engine oil with diesel fuel to clean the oil passages, or is there a side effect? Can anyone input on this?
Thanks

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
04silversnake said:
Hello all, this is in my '91 gt. I replaced the stock pump since the original seized and twisted and broke the pump shaft. I got a new one with the standard flow from either Summit or Jegs, cant recall which of the 2, with an ARP hardened shaft. I was driving the car hard and all of the sudden I noticed no oil pressure. Stopped the car and took the distributor out and saw the shaft broken. I cant believe I have to remove the oil pan again, it was a lot of work to do it with engine in the car. I was happy for awhile knowing that the pan leak was gone. But, now this?. Does anyone have an idea why it went bad soo soon? It can only go in one position. Can this be a coincidence that maybe it was bad? :shrug: Also, I primed it prior installing it.
Thanks,
Franck

no experience with replacing an oil pump yet, but i heard not to use the arp shaft. use sotck shaft.

sponsored1

Not to bring this back, but if the car is fuel injected, the oil pump shaft from arp doesnt allways work. The Hex part is sometimes not machined far enough for it to slide all the way into the pump. It can cause the distributor to sit up a little bit, and when you bolt it down will cause stress on the pump shaft. Then snap. I allways use the ford motorsport shafts for fuel injected cars.

04silversnake

Established Member
update: finished doing the work this weekend, the second pick up tube had the same bend or kink as the first one, also the stock one was very similar. I noticed after installation that there was a small leak in the back of the pan. I think i should have used rtv silicone in order to avoid any leak and to make sure the gasket does not get out of place. O well saound like another weekend of work. Thanks guys.

buddha93

Established Member
sponsored1 said:
Not to bring this back, but if the car is fuel injected, the oil pump shaft from arp doesnt allways work. The Hex part is sometimes not machined far enough for it to slide all the way into the pump. It can cause the distributor to sit up a little bit, and when you bolt it down will cause stress on the pump shaft. Then snap. I allways use the ford motorsport shafts for fuel injected cars.

Ditto, you beat me too it. I ran into that same exact thing when I built my current setup. I ended up using the FMS chromemoly one. I really surprised you snapped the ARP one. My guess would be that it wasn't clearenced properly.....it should be able to move up and down a little after it's installed.

04silversnake

Established Member
buddha93 said:
Ditto, you beat me too it. I ran into that same exact thing when I built my current setup. I ended up using the FMS chromemoly one. I really surprised you snapped the ARP one. My guess would be that it wasn't clearenced properly.....it should be able to move up and down a little after it's installed.
I noticed that the reason it broke is because the pump locked up. I tryed turning it, and it would not turn. I ended up puting a ford racing hardened pump shaft, and a ford new pump. I also make sure on the clearance of the shaft.

Pinche Perros

Established Member
Did you get a stock or high vol and make sure your distributor set on the block and it not a small gap if there a gap when you bolt down the distributor it will make presser on the pump and it will lock up again

Users who are viewing this thread