New noise - Any ideas?

04MC

Established Member
Figured out the problem not the idlers - THanks for all replies

Last edited:

04MC

Established Member
By the way, the noise is not loud at all, but enough for me to hear it inside the car with the window open

cobra_bill

Established Member
Are you getting the hissing noise under acceleration or when you lift off to shift? I think the by-pass valve opens each time you shift. I run the same combo on my car with a gatorback belt so it whines all the time but I did notice more blower noise at part throttle after the pulley swap.

04MC

Established Member
Acceleration only it kinda gets faster/more noticeable as the RPMs go up 2000 to 3000Rpms ... Goes away when I put it on neutral. Oh ya it's not loud at all I can only hear it most of the time when I drive by another car and/or around my neighborhood (quiet enough) I hate new noises ...

Last edited:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
a bad bearing in a pulley?

04MC said:
3 weeks have passed since installation the billetflow idlers (all of them) and billetflow 2.76 upper + gates K080751 belt I started hearing a new very slight squeak/whine (not the supercharger whine) it kinda sounds like my TOB noise, but does it while slight acceleration around 2500-3000 rpms.... doesn't do it all the time either

Any idea what could it be? nothing is wrong with the car, but everytime I hear a new noise I wonder ... kinda hard without someone being here in person, but worth a try and posting.

Thanks

04MC

Established Member
Ya that is what I am thinking ... what's the easiest way to find out which one is making the noise? I just paid a shop to do them not too long ago.

Replaced the idlers to avoid problems and now it might be a problem :bash: :D

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I removed my belt and spun each idler. I have had two fail on me and each time I could tell by spinning the pulley. They didn't spin as freely as a good idler did.
04MC said:
Ya that is what I am thinking ... what's the easiest way to find out which one is making the noise? I just paid a shop to do them not too long ago.

Replaced the idlers to avoid problems and now it might be a problem :bash: :D

04MC

Established Member
Thanks. You're running billetflow also? I am going to check mine out and call Doug.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Yes I run BF. They will either send you bearing that you have pressed in or you can send them a pulley and they will replace it. I have an extra pulley in both sizes in case one starts going for me. In fact I need to send one back to Doug. He backs up his product.

04MC

Established Member
Ya, but how often does this happen? I really don't want to mess with these things a lot u know ...

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
04MC said:
Ya, but how often does this happen? I really don't want to mess with these things a lot u know ...

I have had two go on me in 12,000 miles. I think it was becuase my belt is super tight.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
phillySVT said:
I have had two go on me in 12,000 miles. I think it was becuase my belt is super tight.

I've got a ticking/fluttering noise from the driver's side that echoes off solid objects when I'm driving with the window down. I had someone suggest it might be a bad idler.
My major problem is I had first my original eaton, then a second eaton (which I got from a guy who whippled his car, and got it ported) develop a thrashing noise from the blower which several guys predicted might be blower bearings.

Is it possible I have a bad idler and if left untreated, could that eventually lead to blower (bearing) issues? This is a MAJOR concern for me right now, as I don't want to have to keep tearing off my blower once a year because it starts grinding. Thanks for any input.

04MC

Established Member
It's not from the idlers ... TOB I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread