New Mustang Guy ,Question about 3:55 Gears

03DOHC

Established Member
Welcome to the site. Glad to see another NorCal person register.

If it was mine I'd do 4.10's.

Black04Lightning

I ATE YOUR HEMI FOR LUNCH
Established Member
East Bay Area - Pleasant Hill - California
4.10s in a Daily driver , its only a 2 cam though not a 4 cam like you drive , the redline is only 6100 yours is like 7000 , 4,10s sound like too much to deal with everyday,, Another Question
I heard yesterday there is a valvetrain problem on both the 4 cam and the 2 cam modular Engines , Do you have any valvetrain noise on your right cylinder head , i do ,
so far Per a Cobra owner i know this is a Recall for those engines affected, the whole cylinder head on the right side of the engine is replaced, i cant ask the Technition i know about it at Lithia Ford Concord , until Monday , to see if the camshaft follower on my 4,6 2 cam is covered on the same recall,
When i let it sit all nite and leave for work the next day and start it the first time that day, there is a loud Valvetrain noise from the right cylinder head, From about two or three cam folowers , and Hydrualic lifters ,the sound is there just a few seconds , until the Oil Presure guage reads the normal position on the guage ,, all fluids are at the correct level per specifacation,

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by SonicBlue03GT
:beer: Morning Gents i did have a question , i have the stock 3:27 gears in the rear of my 03 GT Mustang , i have a set of 3:55 gears ,if i install these gears will i notice much difference or would 3:73 gears be a better choice ?
3:55s and 3.73s both suck, you'll be dissappointed if you install either.

4.10s for a daily driver, 4.30s for a weekend car.

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by SonicBlue03GT
4.10s in a Daily driver , its only a 2 cam though not a 4 cam like you drive , the redline is only 6100 yours is like 7000 , 4,10s sound like too much to deal with everyday,, Another Question
4.10s are the perfect daily driver gear for a 2V. You'll still see good gas mileage long as you keep your foot out of it. ;-)

NoPony

Established Member
I put 4.10's in mine. It is a daily driver, but I do not drive it on the interstate much. I have no complaints about the 4.10's. You will be happy with them, unless you do alot of interstate driving. I tach up around 2700 RPM's at 70 mph
(edit to add sig)

Last edited:

Black04Lightning

Established Member
I put 4.10's in mine. It is a daily driver, but I do not drive it on the interstate much. I have no complaints about the 4.10's. You will be happy with them, unless you do alot of interstate driving. I tach up around 2700 RPM's at 70 mph
(edit to add sig)

That was also part of my question , as my car is a Daily driver , i do drive on the Freeway about a 30 minutes One way to work As well as the same 30 minute Drive to arive at my home
thank you for your support,,,,

Black04Lightning

Established Member
Another Question
I heard yesterday there is a valvetrain problem on both the 4 cam and the 2 cam modular Engines , Do you have any valvetrain noise on your right cylinder head , i do ,
so far Per a Cobra owner i know this is a Recall for those engines affected, the whole cylinder head on the right side of the engine is replaced, i cant ask the Technition i know about it at Lithia Ford Concord , until Monday , to see if the camshaft follower on my 4,6 2 cam is covered on the same recall,
When i let it sit all nite and leave for work the next day and start it the first time that day, there is a loud Valvetrain noise from the right cylinder head, From about two or three cam folowers , and Hydrualic lifters ,the sound is there just a few seconds , until the Oil Presure guage reads the normal position on the guage ,, all fluids are at the correct level per specifacation,

Users who are viewing this thread