New Motor what kind of ## do you think I will see ??

cblevons

Established Member
So It's been a long time since my car has been at the shop for the new motor build, Here is what it has let me know what kind of # you think I will see. New Boss block, Diamond stock Comp. pistons with valve reliefs, diamond rings , Stock crank and rods , rods got ARP 2000 bolts, crank and heads studded, rotating assembly balanced, block honed with torque plates, Stock heads sent to Fox Lake Racing, Stage 3 CNC port stock size Farra valves , spark plugs converted to 11 thread, Manley nex tek valve springs, Manley Titanium Keepers , Comp stage 3 cams, MSD coils and plugs,Fresh rebuild from Whipple Gen 1 2.3, 2.7 upper 6# lower ( thinking 21-23 PSI ?? ) Mac long tubes, with Pro chamber , Next Gen JLT high boost CAI , SCT 3000 mass air, Acufab SB, Fuel system return style Division X hat with Aeromotive stealth 340's , # 10 feed 8 return 60 # injectors wiring upgrade with relays , Division X rails , EGR delete, So that's It. Car will be tuned with 100 octane Sunoco fuel thinking about 21-22 degrees timing ? , If anyone around WI the car is at Marv's @ C and M Automotive Performance who Is very good with with these cars , I'm hoping for 675whp maybe low 600 TQ ... What do you think ??

Last edited:

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
MSD coils????

the 2.3 is going to be holding you back, but you will still make really good power. might be lower then that but it depends on how much heat that blower puts out spinning that hard, and how happy or conservative the dyno is.

Last edited:

cblevons

Established Member
Thanks oiljunkie was woundering if anyone would comment , and yes MSD part # MSD Ford Blaster Coil-on-Plug Ignition Coil Packs 82448

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Not sure what a Gen 1 2.3 is going to make spinning that hard. 2.7 + 6lb lower is the most aggressive pulley setup I think I've ever heard of. I think cj428 hit 20-21 with just a 2.6 upper, so take 1lb away for the 2.7, but ADD 6lb for the lower and your theoretically talking 25lbs+ which I'm not sure a gen 1 2.3 is even capable of. At some point your just going to be making heat like the people that push ported Eatons too hard.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
He's got ported heads, stage 3 cams, and long tubes. That will lower his boost substantially.

Most swear by the OEM motorcraft coil packs, and nothing else.

I hope you have a quality heat exchanger cause you will need it on the dyno. Don't worry to much about the dyno numbers. The heat will skew them a lot. What is the max RPM of the 2.3?

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
at 6500rpm that lil whipple will be spinning at well over 21000rpm by my calculation. Whipple recommends not exceeding 18k rpm

cblevons

Established Member
Oiljunkie I have a Afco pro series dual pass heat exchanger, Whipple use to have a chart guide for pulleys setups but can't seem to find it again but I thought 2.7 upper and a 6 # lower should be around 24 PSI then add ported heads long tubes and stage 3 cams figure I would loose a couple pounds I have some bigger Whipple pulleys If needed, And I always liked MSD prouducts so I'm going to give them a try.

cblevons

Established Member
Also the car with 2.7 upper and stock lower with stock manifolds and pro chamber made 18 PSI so thinking adding a 6 # lower with ported heads stage 3 cams and long tubes I would be in the area of 21-23 PSI ??

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
PSI or Boost has nothing to do with it.. All that matters is blower RPM.. If you're overspinning the blower by that much RPM that someone posted you can expect the blower to not last that long.

cblevons

Established Member
Also this car is setup for for 1/4 mile so hopefully on for 9 seconds then off not like a road race car that's on and off all the time building a ton of heat, it is a street car but VERY 1/4 intented .

Last edited:

cblevons

Established Member
So what pulleys set can I run not to go over 18,000 RPM's on the blower ??

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
Depends how hard you spin your engine. 2.7 and 2# will net you 19500@6500rpm. Which for a 1/4 with an ice box should be fine but then u will be around 18 psi probably. Maybe a little less. Boost is just a measure of restriction. Depending on how well everything flows you might be less then that.

cblevons

Established Member
Thanks oiljunkie really see no need to go past 6400 rpm as thats were the power band ends for comp stage 3 why spin it higher when it's out of power band , also would like to stay with the 6 # lower what would I need on top to keep it around 18,000 RPM's 3.25 ?? and were would that put me for boost ? thanks for your input

gabe1530

Banned
i agree, that will be a lot of blower RPM and its going to be a giant heat pump. i wouldnt go smaller than a 3'' upper on the 2.3 whipple. the smaller pulleys slip easier and you wont need that small of an upper anyway with how big of a lower you have on there.

cblevons

Established Member
Gabe1530 or oiljukie you think I should just put a 3.0 on top with the 6 # lower ? what rpm will the blower be spinning @ 6500 RPM's and what kind of boost do you think that will be with my setup ?? Thanks for your input .

stradt03

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, what head gaskets are you running with that Boss block and did you go with ARP2000 head studs and if so, what torque value did you snug them to?

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
It depends how much restruction you car actually has. I would guess you would end up 20-23psi.
Blower will spin at 19716rpm@6500 engine rpm.
I would grab a 3.25 pulley for the dyno.

cblevons

Established Member
stradt03 not sure on what head gaskets the builder went with or a torque value, but yes ARP 2000 series studs

Users who are viewing this thread