New motor/ rebuild advice

Liquidtrial

Established Member
I streched a rod the other day in my 97 cobra. I think the oil pump may have failed causing the damage along with the possibility of a spun brearing. Basicly shes kaput. Called my local shop and he said the only way he would help me is if I had a new motor to drop in and he wouldnt even bother with the rebuild said it would be too much of a pain.

I understand that dropping a new motor in would be faster but man are these puppies hard to find. My local JY said they could get one for $3500 and I forgot the mileage... around 90k I think. The way I look at it I could cough up a little extra chedder and get a rebuilt one that would last me alot longer.

So I just need a little direction here. This is my first car that has a big price tag on the motor before this I was used to Zx2s and being able to find a motor anywhere and for $400 or less. What do I do? Call around in town and see if a shop will actually rebuild it? Or locate myself a new motor and have r dropped in?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I streched a rod the other day in my 97 cobra. I think the oil pump may have failed causing the damage along with the possibility of a spun brearing. Basicly shes kaput. Called my local shop and he said the only way he would help me is if I had a new motor to drop in and he wouldnt even bother with the rebuild said it would be too much of a pain.

I understand that dropping a new motor in would be faster but man are these puppies hard to find. My local JY said they could get one for $3500 and I forgot the mileage... around 90k I think. The way I look at it I could cough up a little extra chedder and get a rebuilt one that would last me alot longer.

So I just need a little direction here. This is my first car that has a big price tag on the motor before this I was used to Zx2s and being able to find a motor anywhere and for $400 or less. What do I do? Call around in town and see if a shop will actually rebuild it? Or locate myself a new motor and have r dropped in?

you can find a stock motor for beans if you serach the forums or craigslist. but for 3500 bux you could have a aluminator shortblock and put all your top end stuff on it. but IMO, if the shop won't do a build- they won't do a good job on the install either. if this isn't your daily driver- buy a short block, transfer your stuff on, and put it back in yourself

svtcobralover

Established Member
I second that statement. If the shop will not rebuild your motor than that tells me they are lazy or don't know what they are doing. I bought a used 96 cobra motor complete for $1300 on craigslist. Just look around. But for $2300 you can have a Aluminator shortblock sent to your door step. Just a few ideas.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Let us know how we can help, we have a great deal on our new 4.75 shortblocks that use the new 2011 Coyote Crank shafts, they are $2499 for the 750SE and $2799 for the 1000SE , both include a 1 year warranty and do not require Ford Dealer installation as the Ford racing blocks do (to keep the warranty). They also feature upgraded bearings and Rings (clevite and Total seal) where the Ford Racing use stock bearings and stock rings.

Let us know how we can help!

MMR

OS11R4Jmark5.jpg

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Also forgot, you can send us your existing shortblock for a rebuild too, we can do forged rods, pistons etc, these rebuilds start @ $1799 and get you Forged I beam Rods with ARP hardware, Forged Manley Pistons, Torque plate bore and hone, clevite bearings and Total seal rings, complete digital balancing and re-assembly.

MMR

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It depends on your location but shipping is roughly $220 within most of the US . Though not cheap it does include damage and theft insurance also.

Last edited:

Blk98Slobra

Established Member
I'm in the same boat at the moment. I just bent a rod as well. I don't what the hell to do seeing I'm in pharmacy school and my budget is not the greatest at the moment. At this point I have no clue what to do. I would think the easiest route would be to drop a new motor into my car.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
At this point I have no clue what to do. I would think the easiest route would be to drop a new motor into my car.

It is quickest to buy new, it is cheapest to rebuild, as we mentioned to the member above we can do both and we would be happy to help. The rebuilds start @ 1799 and the new shortblocks @ 2499 , you can also send in your heads and we can assemble them onto the new shortblock or we can rebuild your entire existing longblock. :beer:

MMR
1-877-MOD-POWR

Liquidtrial

Established Member
Great advice guys. This is really helping. My budget is tight as well I am also going to school and I have a part-time securtiy job working thirds to pay for everything.

To the MMR posts - as far as a rebuild that seems like a good deal, better than anything else I have been finding. I do have a few questions though. Could you double check shipping from 61604, I found you guys are in CA and it could get pricey.
How long of a process is this? Meaning from the day I ship it to the day I get it back?
On the MMR website you state that all warrenties are based on manufacturer product warrenties. How will this work in regards to the rebuild on the chance of an improperly installed part... who would cover this?
(not implying that you guys dont know your stuff, I know you do but shit happens)

I think thats it for now, I have a few local calls to make but this is my best option by far and I want to get her running before the crap weather sets in around here.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Great advice guys. This is really helping. My budget is tight as well I am also going to school and I have a part-time securtiy job working thirds to pay for everything.

To the MMR posts - as far as a rebuild that seems like a good deal, better than anything else I have been finding. I do have a few questions though. Could you double check shipping from 61604, I found you guys are in CA and it could get pricey.
How long of a process is this? Meaning from the day I ship it to the day I get it back?
On the MMR website you state that all warrenties are based on manufacturer product warrenties. How will this work in regards to the rebuild on the chance of an improperly installed part... who would cover this?
(not implying that you guys dont know your stuff, I know you do but shit happens)

I think thats it for now, I have a few local calls to make but this is my best option by far and I want to get her running before the crap weather sets in around here.

Shipping is $195 (one way) for a shortblock or $290 for a longblock

Our current wait time/build time is 3-4 weeks, if you need it in a hurry we have a rush charge.

The warranty covers both parts and labor for 1 year on ALL MMR engines and rebuilds.

Please let us know if you have any other questions :beer:

MMR

RWtorque

Established Member
Shipping is $195 (one way) for a shortblock or $290 for a longblock

Our current wait time/build time is 3-4 weeks, if you need it in a hurry we have a rush charge.

The warranty covers both parts and labor for 1 year on ALL MMR engines and rebuilds.

Please let us know if you have any other questions :beer:

MMR

Boy, I know where I'm to go when I get in this situation for these modular engines, MMR sounds to me like the way to go ! Even being able to send in the heads and they'll slap them on and guarantee their build ? I'm betting they would inspect the heads you send them so you don't end up having issues there. I don't see how you can beat that along w/ a good warranty as well. Prices are good. They have a good reputation and their customer service is what we wish all out there would have. The shipping costs are reasonable as well. Being flexible with the build is a good thing too ! Very good is all I can say !!

Users who are viewing this thread