New Motor Question

rustyred79

Established Member
I just got a 89 lx hatch and I messed up the motor in it and now I have decieded to rebuild it. As far as I know it has a 306 with a e-cam but that is all I really know about it I plan on build it from the block up but not sure what internals I should use and what heads I should get. My plans are to run low 11's to high 10's. Any advice would help alot. Thanks

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Do you plan on staying NA or putting a power adder on it? What sort of funds do you have to spend?

carguy19

Established Member
I would do a 371 stroker shortblock from theengineshop.com then get a top end designed from ed curtis flowtechinduction.com or jay allen camshaftinnovations.com

my friend has a 371 NA in his car and its a full street car with interior ps and ac. It goes high 10s on slicks. HES got the shortblock I mentioned above with an ed curtis designed top end kit.

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
I would do a 371 stroker shortblock from theengineshop.com then get a top end designed from ed curtis flowtechinduction.com or jay allen camshaftinnovations.com

my friend has a 371 NA in his car and its a full street car with interior ps and ac. It goes high 10s on slicks. HES got the shortblock I mentioned above with an ed curtis designed top end kit.

What was the total coin for that setup? Sounds like a good setup.

carguy19

Established Member
What was the total coin for that setup? Sounds like a good setup.

4000 for the shortblock I know for sure.

heads cam and intake were around 35-4000 Im not 100% sure tho he had an intake and fuel already so I dont know the exact cost. it has AFR heads on it. Believe it or not, the car doesnt really idle that choppy, it really surprises you.

The car is docile as hell on the street and a complete monster when you rev it up.

Im either doing the same exact thing as he is, or doing an 03 cobra motor in my next project

rustyred79

Established Member
Funds are about 5500 for the motor becuase I just ordered a new tko for it. I want to keep it n/a if possible but if not then a blower.

Last edited:

carguy19

Established Member
Funds are about 5500 for the motor becuase I just ordered a new tko for it. I want to keep it n/a if possible but if not the a blower.

IF I were you and you planned on making substantial power with the motor. Do the shortblock the right way, skimp a little on the heads and top end. then down the line add a better set of heads and cam.

if you are going to make 500 hp or more, you are going to slaughter a stock block, its only a matter of time.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Funds are about 5500 for the motor becuase I just ordered a new tko for it. I want to keep it n/a if possible but if not then a blower.

Call up Jay allen tell him your goals and go from there. Do it once,do it right. Unlike me

Users who are viewing this thread