New Motor from Ford?

JohnsMyName

Established Member
One of my best friends has a little brother with a 97 cobra. The car is/was in mint condition with 21k on the clock. Any how the dumb kid manages to pop the motor a few days ago:nonono:. The block is ok but motor blown. He has insurance, and wants to send it to Ford for a rebuild with stock specs/parts. Anyone have a guestimate on the cost?:??:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
What part is blown? Your looking 3-6k+ depending on what brand parts used and labor rates...

Insurance doesnt cover a blown motor, unless he got a warrenty from a used car dealership..

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
A new longblock is 4900$. Heads are about 2 grand a pop. He'd be better off just buying the new longblock. I went that route.. and the new motor came with a 3yr/75k warranty

Toasty

Established Member
I hate to sound like an MMR fanboy, but a MMR800 shortblock is $2799.00

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/prod_shortblocks.htm

All you need is that and a competent shop to go over your heads (valve job, guides if needed, etc). Billet oil pump from Melling is another 200 worth spending. Gaskets and assembly.

You can have a MUCH BETTER than stock replacement for probably $5k assembled.

jlg32281

Established Member
If the engine is out and being replaced/rebuilt, it would be foolish to stick the same weak engine back in. Have it rebuilt with a forged block or buy an aftermarket forged shortblock. MMR has decent prices and it's a much better than stock engine. With only 21k on the heads, I wouldn't even bother messing with them, I would just swap short blocks and put the Melling oil pump. And tell your friend to hook up an oil sending unit that shuts the car down if oil pressure drops below a set limit. (yes they do exist). This will keep women and dumb kids from spinning a bearing on these engines, which is quite easy to do. Also, if I would have it tuned and set the rev limiter much lower to make it child proof if that's who's going to be driving.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
If the engine is out and being replaced/rebuilt, it would be foolish to stick the same weak engine back in. Have it rebuilt with a forged block or buy an aftermarket forged shortblock. MMR has decent prices and it's a much better than stock engine. With only 21k on the heads, I wouldn't even bother messing with them, I would just swap short blocks and put the Melling oil pump. And tell your friend to hook up an oil sending unit that shuts the car down if oil pressure drops below a set limit. (yes they do exist). This will keep women and dumb kids from spinning a bearing on these engines, which is quite easy to do. Also, if I would have it tuned and set the rev limiter much lower to make it child proof if that's who's going to be driving.

yea set the rev limiter lower so it cuts fuel and blows again

why not get the aluminator thats already forged and assembled and you can even get the new heads with that too

Users who are viewing this thread