New mods/Fabrication

low12lightning

Established Member
Getting ready to blow the doors off a few Cobras, with a Lightning.

Aluminum Fan shroud/ electric fan mount, started life a door panel on the backflip truck.

PICT0855.jpg

A few bends

PICT0856.jpg

PICT0857.jpg

Showing off some skills

PICT0860.jpg

All done

PICT0858.jpg

In the truck, engine bay not quite finished. I'm really starting to add alot of aluminum in the engine bay. Everything you see is hand built my me.

PICT0869.jpg

PICT0871.jpg

PICT0870.jpg

A few hundred dollars later, and i can ditch those intank pumps for something allitle more serious.

PICT0853.jpg

PICT0851.jpg

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
isnt that decreasing air flow across the radiator? How would that affect driveability?

shrouding a rad can actually increase the rads efficiency provided the shroud is done right (hell just increasing your water pumps output would yeild temp drops too...and theys get better with more turbulant water flow). The shroud would need to have its edges sealed so air couldnt get passed, and the shroud would need to be deep enough to kill any dead air spots under the fans. And there are a bunch of other things im not gonna type out LOL.
Low12 you draw some damned clean beads there man! Especially with aluminum...nice work!
Also i am still waiting to send you some cash for that little thing we discussed via PM...a few others may join :)

tpr103

Established Member
nice i have no patients when it comes to tig welding lol!! i have a tig, was practicing, and as soon as i got the pool started and fed the filler in i would slip and hit the end of the torch!!! then i would have to shut her down, pull the tungston out and regrind the tip!! man i really need to just lock myself in the garage and learn!!!!

falstaff

Established Member
Looks good for sure....

But your actually reducing the effeciency of the cooling system though. The shroud should have atleast trap doors in it to allow larger volumes of air through at higher speeds, the airflow path should be boxed in so air can only go through the rad. and not over or under,or around it.

From the pics it looks as though air once up to speed will be trying to push through 2 14or 16 in openings, what cant get through will be flooding around the open edges.

some flaps or trap doors on the shroud should do good. When I boxed my rad. in I noticed a 8-10* temp drop. That was from filling in the gaps around the carbon rad cover and also the bottom and sides as well.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
Falstaff is telling it straight.
Air needs to be gradually funneled in.
Fans also push air through a radiator more efficiently than trying to pull it through.

low12lightning

Established Member
Looks good for sure....

But your actually reducing the effeciency of the cooling system though. The shroud should have atleast trap doors in it to allow larger volumes of air through at higher speeds, the airflow path should be boxed in so air can only go through the rad. and not over or under,or around it.

From the pics it looks as though air once up to speed will be trying to push through 2 14or 16 in openings, what cant get through will be flooding around the open edges.

some flaps or trap doors on the shroud should do good. When I boxed my rad. in I noticed a 8-10* temp drop. That was from filling in the gaps around the carbon rad cover and also the bottom and sides as well.

You make a few good points, however i think your alittle mistaken. I'm not sure where you get the "trap door idea?" I work for a pro team and have never seen such a thing. An electric fan does not kill engine power when running so let it run at full tilt all the time. If you have the correct fans they will pull enough air themselves to make "trap doors" useless. I think the trap door idea is more to reduce wind resistance on top speed cars. I will agree the shroud i built is not "ideal" however it is not reducing the efficiency over the stock shroud. The "open edges" you speak of are on the back side of the rad. The air excaping through those opening as already gone through my rad. But yes i would have liked to seal the rad. all the way around. But it has been "tweaked" a small amount and it would have not been worth the additional time to fit an unsquare rad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread