new member with a ?

opie99

Established Member
hey guys new member here. seen a couple of threads from stlmustangs and found you guys more helpful then them a$$holes. they dont like to help you unless you have a thousand post or in there little circle so the hell with them, but anyways i have a 99 cobra with some issues thought maybe someone can give me some pointers? im getting a lot of noise coming from the front end. i replaced the balljoints and the tie rod ends and im still getting a clicking noise when going over bumps:fm:, but when i hit the brakes it goes away. so i put the car on a lift and notice it was coming from the calipers. the brakes are a little low, does anyone know if replacin the brakes will take care of this or maybe something else is the issue? any info would be appreciated. im also got that wounderful clunking noise in the rear end, were can i get the parts to take care of that.

thanks kyle

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Check the brake pads themselves. I took my car on vacation and when I got back I had a clunk in the front end. I thought it was due to the pot hole that Missouri calls I-70. Eventually found that it was one of the brake pads tabs that hold it in the caliper had sheared and that was causing a very loud clunk. I replaced the brake pads and the noise went away. Hope this helps.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Ditto on what Anthony said. More than likely the rattle clips are gone from your brake pads and your pads are chattering around in the caliper.

opie99

Established Member
i had a feeling that what it was. the car has 81,000, its my dd, i dont know if they have been changed. what i mean by low is that there is about 30% pad left on my brakes. so when i get new brakes what kind of pads would you recommend and will the clips come with it or do i have to get a hardware kit for the front and rears?

01vert

Established Member
anti rattle clips are prob missing, causes this problem. Some pics on here somewhere that shows the clips. Many brake pads dont come with them.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
hey guys new member here. seen a couple of threads from stlmustangs and found you guys more helpful then them a$. they dont like to help you unless you have a thousand post or in there little circle so the hell with them, but anyways i have a 99 cobra with some issues thought maybe someone can give me some pointers? im getting a lot of noise coming from the front end. i replaced the balljoints and the tie rod ends and im still getting a clicking noise when going over bumps:fm:, but when i hit the brakes it goes away. so i put the car on a lift and notice it was coming from the calipers. the brakes are a little low, does anyone know if replacin the brakes will take care of this or maybe something else is the issue? any info would be appreciated. im also got that wounderful clunking noise in the rear end, were can i get the parts to take care of that.

thanks kyle

Hey Kyle, I'm actually a mod over on STLM so I know that crowd can be a bit hard to take. Give them a chance though, there's some good and helpful folks over there, you just gotta know who to listen too and who to ignore . . . like most on-line communities.

As far as your brakes go, the rattle clips go that seems to be an issue for a lot of people w/ these cars. When you replace your brake pads go to Advance Auto parts and get this to slather all over the back of the pads: http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=CRC&MfrPartNumber=05016&CategoryCode=3223
It will greatly reduce brake pad squeal and other related noises.

As far as pads go I have these on my '01 Cobra:
Hawks HPS Street

I also have these rotors:
Power Slot Rotors
- But many will point out that you absolutely don't need slotted rotors especially for a dd. The blank Brembo rotor are more than adequate and I'm told you can get them at NAPA for $60. I just have the slotted rotors b/c I like the look and I do a little auto-cross and open track stuff on the side.

If you're interested in upgrading to stainless steel brake lines, this is a good set:
Russell front and rear brake ss brake lines

A good brake fluid would be:
Valvoline Dot 3/4 Synthetic fluid

If you replace both pads and rotors here is some info on bedding in the brakes properly
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml

Good luck. If you have more questions you can pm me over on STLM under the same s/n.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ good info. agreed also that STLM can be sorta "clicky."

if you ever need help with anything or looking for someone to cruise with hit me up. where at in STL are you at?

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I don't know if the clicking is from the brakes or not. I just put on centric posi quiet ceramic pads and they are great. no squeal and virtually eliminates brake dust. also stops great. welcome aboard.

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
hey guys new member here. seen a couple of threads from stlmustangs and found you guys more helpful then them a$. they dont like to help you unless you have a thousand post or in there little circle so the hell with them, but anyways i have a 99 cobra with some issues thought maybe someone can give me some pointers? im getting a lot of noise coming from the front end. i replaced the balljoints and the tie rod ends and im still getting a clicking noise when going over bumps:fm:, but when i hit the brakes it goes away. so i put the car on a lift and notice it was coming from the calipers. the brakes are a little low, does anyone know if replacin the brakes will take care of this or maybe something else is the issue? any info would be appreciated. im also got that wounderful clunking noise in the rear end, were can i get the parts to take care of that.

thanks kyle

yeah stlmustangs has they're own click...ive been on they're for quite some time and ive only met a handfull of people id call good guys...most others will dog you if your car isnt what they like....search some of my old threads..i got bashed for the longest time for having a black hood on my yellow car...SVTP. is deff more user friendly and you''ll get your answers almost instantly

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Soooo, did the op ever come back to this? I put a lot of effort into that response, I'd like to know he at least read it . . . :lol1:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
lol, i'd bet no. his last activity shows 9/14 at like 12:30pm so that was before you posted. i enjoyed reading it if it makes you feel better :)

opie99

Established Member
hey sorry i took so long to get back to this but thanks for the info should help me a lot. im from florissant and always down for a cruise. but doesnt seem like people are doing it alot lately

Users who are viewing this thread