New Member - Previous Evo owner!! Video of me racing a Terminator included...

St_Evo

Established Member
Well my name is Stephen and Im from WV. My last two vehicles were a '04 Evo RS and a '06 Evo IX. I just purchased a 2003 Cobra from my uncle and it has 12k miles and its black. I like it a lot but it takes a little getting used to coming from AWD power. You actually have to drive these cars and focus on what your doing unlike the Evo's.

Anyway here is a video of me racing a 480whp Terminator with one of my Evo's that had many bolt ons and E-85 at 28psi. What can I do to this Cobra to prevent this from happening to me? Its completely stock right now with a Borla catback exhaust.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzc-dXQM5qg"]YouTube - Evo 8 RS vs. Cobra[/ame]

And a C5 Z06 that dyno'd at 455whp on a DynoJet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzSed1zVMPw"]YouTube - Evo 8 vs. Z06 Corvette[/ame]

XSIV_BOOST

Banned
like said a simple whipple/kenne bell swap with the supporting mods will have you in buisness

And a HPP or Hellion kit will take care of about anything you'll ever encounter..

Or you could do a smaller upper pulley, larger lower, ported blower, & shot of spray.. Thats lethal too.. & the cheaper route..

Last edited:

St_Evo

Established Member
I want to make 500whp to start without spray. What mods are "have to" on these cars?
Intake?
Headers?
What Pulley size?
Tuning?

XSIV_BOOST

Banned
I want to make 500whp to start without spray. What mods are "have to" on these cars?
Intake?
Headers?
What Pulley size?
Tuning?

To make 500rwhp.. I would go:

JLT ram air intake
Accufab TB & Plenum.. or Billetflow
Billetflow 2.93 pulley, Metco 4 lb. lower
Steggy Stage 4 or 5 ported blower
SCT Xcal 2 or 3...
NGK TR6 spark plugs gaped about .032
Nice catback - Bassani/Borla.. & hi flow catted x, or o/r x.. depending on how loud u wanna be..
& a tune..

That will get you over the 500 rwhp mark

Last edited:

St_Evo

Established Member
That a lot of good info man! What kind of tuning do you guys use?

St_Evo

Established Member
Either the SCT Xcal, or Diablosport Predator... depends on what your tuner prefers.. Where in WV are you located?

So you have to buy some kind of programmer for these cars and then your tuner installs the maps on the programmers?

I am located in the central part of the state in Clarksburg. My buddy just bought a Cobra also and he is a member on here, his name is Ririck. His is white though...its pretty sick.

Last edited:

XSIV_BOOST

Banned
So you have to buy some kind of programmer for these cars and then your tuner installs the maps on the programmers?

I am located in the central part of the state in Clarksburg. My buddy just bought a Cobra also and he is a member on here, his name is Ririck. His is white though...its pretty sick.

Yeah, you need a handheld.. Or you can get a chip..

As far as I know, there are no programs to edit the stock ecu.. (Like LS1Edit on GM's)

Are you on wvmotorsports.com?

Last edited:

YellowCobra04

Established Member
Oh yeah.. I'd definitely get a IRS brace, and a shifter.. Most popular here is the MGW Orange handle..

+1 on the brace. This should be the first mod on you list, unless you want your rear differential case shattered all over the road.

At the first sign of wheel hop let off right away. Wheel hop will break your differential cover and half shafts.

Congrats on the new Cobra and have fun :banana:

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
Hey Steve. Glad you joined up. I didnt know you'd bought it yet, I thought you were still contemplating haha.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

yes, though its wise to find a tuner first, and get what they recommend.

The only way to fend of a big turbo, big boost E85 Evo is to do the equivalent mods to your car, IE an upgraded power adder (not just a modded stocker like a ported eaton), more fuel and support. 2.8L KB, 3.4L Whipple would be excellent choices if you want to stay with a blower instead of going turbo. 500whp with a ported eaton and support, you are still at risk from alot of modded 4cyl's and bolton LSx cars. With the numbers in my sig, all it took was a pesky Stage3 SRT4 with meth+91 octane and a 49lb compressor upgrade to waste me like i was standing still. I highly doubt an extra 50whp would have changed matters.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Well my name is Stephen and Im from WV. My last two vehicles were a '04 Evo RS and a '06 Evo IX. I just purchased a 2003 Cobra from my uncle and it has 12k miles and its black. I like it a lot but it takes a little getting used to coming from AWD power. You actually have to drive these cars and focus on what your doing unlike the Evo's.

Anyway here is a video of me racing a 480whp Terminator with one of my Evo's that had many bolt ons and E-85 at 28psi. What can I do to this Cobra to prevent this from happening to me? Its completely stock right now with a Borla catback exhaust.

YouTube - Evo 8 RS vs. Cobra

And a C5 Z06 that dyno'd at 455whp on a DynoJet.

YouTube - Evo 8 vs. Z06 Corvette
How much did your EVO Dyno with those mods? My brother in law had an 05 with every mod other than a bigger turbo. Cams, FMIC, TB exhaust, AEM EMS, Meth injection, 27-28 psi and dynoed 384 at all 4 wheels at Turbo Trix in NJ. It def would not pull my Cobra. Do the 06 come with the 10.5 hotside?

Welcome as well.

Last edited:

St_Evo

Established Member
How much did your EVO Dyno with those mods? My brother in law had an 05 with every mod other than a bigger turbo. Cams, FMIC, TB exhaust, AEM EMS, Meth injection, 27-28 psi and dynoed 384 at all 4 wheels at Turbo Trix in NJ. It def would not pull my Cobra. Do the 06 come with the 10.5 hotside?

Welcome as well.

I didnt have it dyno'd after I put the injectors and E-85 in it but im going to guess around 420 on a dynojet. It was an RS though and I had it down to 3000lbs so im sure that helped a little.

The '06 Evo's do have the 10.5 hotside but I also made that upgrade on the '04 also. I did have an upgraded turbo on the '04 but it was just a stock turbo of of an Evo IX. They run really good...

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
fellow evo owner here also, my evo ix se dynoed at 381awhp when i raced a pullied 03 cobra with cai, exhaust and a tune, and i had him by about 4 cars.

an evo like yours and mine, and now us being in cobra we would need a ported blower with supporting mods, BAP, cai, x-pipe, HE, 2.76 upper and a 4# lower, and a sick tune should get it done nicley, goodluck

St_Evo

Established Member
Are you on wvmotorsports.com?

Yea, ive been on there since it started. My name is Stevo on there too.. (pretty original huh? Lol)

Hey Steve. Glad you joined up. I didnt know you'd bought it yet, I thought you were still contemplating haha.

Yea, its a done deal I just didnt want to make it official until it was sitting in my driveway. Its at M&G's in Clarksburg getting detailed for me right now. I like it... I just want it to be kinda fast. And by that I mean, DarkEvo9 fast! :)

St_Evo

Established Member
fellow evo owner here also, my evo ix se dynoed at 381awhp when i raced a pullied 03 cobra with cai, exhaust and a tune, and i had him by about 4 cars.

an evo like yours and mine, and now us being in cobra we would need a ported blower with supporting mods, BAP, cai, x-pipe, HE, 2.76 upper and a 4# lower, and a sick tune should get it done nicley, goodluck

Yea, Evo's run great for little money. Unfortunately they are still 4 bangers and they are really expensive to maintain being AWD.

The one I have my eye on is my buddies Buschur Built Evo that laid down 470awhp on Buschur's Mustang dyno. Man that car is fast...

Users who are viewing this thread