new member, new project - 1995 cobra

cjmclean

Established Member
Hi everybody - really, my first time posting here. I just purchased a 1995 Rio Red Cobra with 104,000 miles on it for the mere sum of $4,500. At least, I thought it was good deal anyways.

Bone stock except for exhaust & shifter. The previous owner had it for 8 years, and only put 20,000 something miles on it.

When I picked it up - how about that purple tint?

sl371299.jpg

After compounding & a couple of coats of cleaner wax, sorry for the crummy pictures:

sl371287r.jpg

sl371289.jpg

Leather is pretty chewed up:

sl371288.jpg

Pretty much bone stock , got to love the mis-routed spark plug wire:

sl371294.jpg

Non-cobra headlights:

sl371295.jpg

cjmclean

Established Member
So, right now the plan is to basically restore it to OEM condition. I really don't want to tear it up because it's in really good shape, and we already have the 2008 GT/CS for a modding car.

Interior plans:

1) Dynomat the inside, install black carpet. Have the seats redone in black leather with saddle tan inserts & cobra logo on headrest.

2) Install the LED lights in the gauge & HVAC cluster

3) Add kicking stereo

4) Re-place both the window motors & door locks

Exterior Plans:

1) Use 96-98 cobra rear bumper & hood

2) re-paint factory color

3) re-finish the stock wheels

4) rebuild the calipers & install slotted rotors with new brakes

Engine mods:

1) Have heads & intake port & polished

2) Add slightly larger cam

3) long tube headers & full exhaust

I'm open to suggestions - I am really trying to not mod the hell out of this car, but it is getting difficult now!

:banana:

Last edited:

svtrickey

Established Member
Clean the engine bay! LOL, just messing with you but no really clean that sucker. Car looks great, for the miles.

cjmclean

Established Member
Some better pictures, why not...

After 2 cans of engine cleaner:

sl371301.jpg

Sweet ass exhaust hanger & rusted tailpipes:

sl371305.jpg

Better pictures:

sl371303.jpg

sl371302.jpg

Slick5.0

Banned
I have some blue LED lights for the gauge & HVAC cluster I'd like to sale them. let me know if you'd like to buy them. buy the nice car. What are cobra headlights ? I thought they were all the same gt and cobra have the same headlights.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
awesome buy for the price. I got mine 6 years ago for $7750 with 93,000 miles.
Some suggestions because they are things that I did when I had mine apart and they really cleaned up the engine bay:

1. remove and beadblast/powdercoat the heater tubes mounted on the passenger side of the lower intake and do the same for the coolant tubing leading to the oil cooler and the cooler itself.

2. Instead of the FRPP "too long" wires, set yourself up with a set of these do-it-yourself custom length plug wires from Taylor: Taylor Cable 83253 - Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2 Spark Plug Wire Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

3. Lower intake porting should be done by TMoss. Look him up on the Corral Forums in the 94/95 section as I don't think he posts anything on here.

4. keep a spare distributor around as your PIP sensor inside will most likely crap out on you at the most inopportune moment. ask me how I know, its happened twice to me within the 209,000 miles on my car.

5. I hope you got some luck and the owner left the original "COBRA" front floormats with the car; they're impossible to find anywhere now.

cjmclean

Established Member
Not so lucky with the floormats. Only came with some cheap rubber mats from autozone.

First order of business - new tires.

Anyone having problems with 275 rubbing on the front?

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
Not so lucky with the floormats. Only came with some cheap rubber mats from autozone.

First order of business - new tires.

Anyone having problems with 275 rubbing on the front?

You won't have any problems with the 275's in the front unless you go with a tubular k-member/coilovers or lowering springs with a tubular k-member. Even that problem can be eliminated with some 03/04 Cobra front lower control arms.
This is only my dumbass opinion though; why put 275's on the front if you're not really planning on auto-Xing the car or racing it? The larger size adds rolling resistance and with the factory 17x8 rims, will make the tires look kinda funny when they are mounted onto the rims. If you move up to an 18x9 rim, then I can see putting on the 275 tires.

mark23svt

Established Member
Nice cobra, i just recently purchased my 5.0 also and let me tell you since im used to the 4v man is it diffrent. Its diffrent but, i think they both are awesome motors and hopefully i can own both, i would never sell the 5.0 (hopefully) the car came with some goodies but i just recently installed mac longtube headers and let me tell you these cars respond well to mods it feels stronger. Just watch out for overheating issues and the dam a/c always giving out, and look into suspension man it really makes the mustangs feel stiffer and better.

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
looks great! i like the list you made. and i have 275s on the front of mine lowered 2" and they just barely rub at full turn. mine also has the purple tint on it as well :lol: i guess that was the popular thing to do 15 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread