new member looking for knowledge

cpapsSVT

hey, just bought a 98 silver/blue with 47 cllicks. My friend Tom belongs to Midwest Fords, but they don't have too many CSVT's in the club. I am basically looking for any basic knowledge I should know about the car like preventative maintenance, any quirks and stuff like that. Also, the car came with a K&N, and I was wondering what else are some good starter mods so I can get this thing movin a little better.

Any comments are appreciated.
Chris

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
check out the CEG (www.contour.org)

but to answer some of your questions. Ypipe and/or MSDS headers are probably one of the best mods HP wise. There isn't alot of maintenance minus the WP. The early models tend to let go fairly early due to a plastic impeller. As for Tom...is that Mystic 544?

chknhwk

Metal water pump like RT said and check out the Dual Mode Damper as well.
Brullen cat-back all the way baby! Loud with center resonator and MSDS headers. :D

cpapsSVT

thanks guys

I believe Mystic's name is Tim, I'm not 100% but Tom is actually SitDown and I also noticed SnkBitn posts here, small internet world. Anyway, I was thinking exhaust first, and what is scary is when I went to test drive the car, the WP was shot, which I couldnt believe because the car is near flawless otherwise, but Ford replaced it with a new unit that was updated and I do believe the fan is metal in this one.

Thanx for the info, look forward to swapping more thoughts.
Chris

leumerg

Established Member
do not get a mass air flow senser the worst mod u can get my car ran very bad and had the sensor recalibrated twice now it sits in a droor spend you money at a bar. a superchip raises your redline and it pulls a little harder. brospeed exhaust very loud a little ricy

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
a MAF is the worst investment? But you should spend your money on a superchip? Looks like you need to do more research!

Originally posted by leumerg
do not get a mass air flow senser the worst mod u can get my car ran very bad and had the sensor recalibrated twice now it sits in a droor spend you money at a bar. a superchip raises your redline and it pulls a little harder. brospeed exhaust very loud a little ricy

MySvt21

2003 Cobra Vert
Established Member
I am also new to the board, i bought my 98 Black Svt Contour 3 weeks ago. It has 52,000 on the clock and the only thing that has gone wrong was the water pump, which seems to be a common failure with these cars around that many miles. The factory pump has a plastic impeller, I replaced the water pump and thermostat in under an hour.

Travis

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yup, very common. the earlier years had a plastic impeller that would go out anywhere from 40-60k miles.

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
I'm curious, how much does the average water pump replacement cost? I'm at 58K right now and there have been no signs of failure, but I'm sure now that I post this, the damn thing will go out in the morning...

MySvt21

2003 Cobra Vert
Established Member
I went to a local AutoZone and it was $10 for the thermostat and $80 for the water pump, $10 core so bring back your old one, it comes out to $70. Not to costly and pretty easy to replace.

Travis

Users who are viewing this thread