New Meat in 325

enormous

Established Member
Michelin just released a new Streetable Track & Competition Pilot Sport Cup 2 in 325 30 20.
180 Treadwear
I just recieved the 1st pair to arrive in North America.
They will be replacing my worn Dunlop 325 30 20 and mounted on my 11.5" Boze Tack rims.
The outside semi slick section just looks badazzz.
Picture034_zpsca497543.jpg

325 Michelin on left and Dunlop 325 on right.
Picture028_zpsa749027f.jpg

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Michelin just released a new Streetable Track & Competition Pilot Sport Cup 2 in 325 30 20.
180 Treadwear
I just recieved the 1st pair to arrive in North America.
They will be replacing my worn Dunlop 325 30 20 and mounted on my 11.5" Boze Tack rims.
The outside semi slick section just looks badazzz.
Picture034_zpsca497543.jpg

325 Michelin on left and Dunlop 325 on right.
Picture028_zpsa749027f.jpg

^^^^^Man tires! :thumbsup:

R

2nd2none

Established Member
Those look nice. Those Dunlop were the perfect size when I had my widened Alcoas but they were $800+ EACH. Nice theres now at least 1 other alternative in that size

dennisdiecast

Established Member
those look awesome!!! anyone have an idea how those compare to the MPSS in terms of traction, tread wear? I'm assuming they would have better grip since they are a competition tire...

Established Member
Dunlops look to have. Good all season tread pattern for those of us who need that.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Remember that tread wear numbers are not standardized so a 240 from brand X may not be the same as 240 from brand Y.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Remember that tread wear numbers are not standardized so a 240 from brand X may not be the same as 240 from brand Y.

I have read in multiple tire articles that where the tread is measured is not standardized, but not the tread wear rating?

Here is what I find when I search tire tread wear rating......................

"The Treadwear Grade of a tire is the numeric portion of the Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards (UTQG) that are printed on the sidewall of a tire. These standards were enacted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which is part of the United States Department of Transportation. Higher treadwear numbers indicate that the tread of a tire, and hence the tire itself, should last longer."

^^This indicates that the tread wear rating is a uniform standard?

______________________________________________________________________________________

...........and this is what I find and have mentioned many times when tire width is discussed.........................

Tread Width

"The tread width is the distance between the outer edge and the inner edge of the tread of a new tire. However today's radial tires often feature tread designs that incorporate rounded shoulders and there is no industry standard pertaining to "how much" of the rounded shoulders should be included in the tread width measurement. Because of this, it is difficult to accurately compare the tread width differences of one tire brand to another. Tread width measurements are best used when comparing the various tire sizes or lines manufactured by a single tire manufacturer. Several tire manufacturers have chosen not to publish tread width dimensions."

^^^No industry standard...........

R

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The tread wear is not a hard and fast uniform test that you can say 100% a 300 is a 300 is a 300 tread wear rating. It's a guide. Lot of flexibility. Easiest thing is the wiki...wish wiki was around 20 years ago :)

However, tire manufacturers are not under any obligation to grade a tire based on the test results, except to say that they can not overstate the grade.

Treadwear rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

tvspower

Established Member
That is some RUBBER Lol Just wondering .. What would be the WEIGHT of such a huge tire???

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The tread wear is not a hard and fast uniform test that you can say 100% a 300 is a 300 is a 300 tread wear rating. It's a guide. Lot of flexibility. Easiest thing is the wiki...wish wiki was around 20 years ago :)

However, tire manufacturers are not under any obligation to grade a tire based on the test results, except to say that they can not overstate the grade.

Treadwear rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, and here is info. to back up what you are saying about tread wear ratings..........

Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards (UTQG) were originated to provide consumers with useful information to help them purchase tires based on their relative treadwear, traction and temperature capabilities. While it is required by law for most passenger car tires sold in the United States, it is not required for deep treaded light truck tires, winter/snow tires, temporary spare tires, trailer tires, tires under 12” in diameter and other select tires.

When looking at UTQG ratings it is important to realize that the Department of Transportation does not conduct the tests. The grades are assigned by the tire manufacturers based on their test results or those conducted by an independent testing company they have hired. The NHTSA has the right to inspect the tire manufacturer's data and can fine them if inconsistencies are found. While most new tire lines have their grades established when they are introduced, they are allowed a 6-month grace period to allow the tire manufacturer to test actual production tires. Once a grade is assigned it must be branded on the tire's upper sidewall and printed on its label.

Unfortunately, the rating that is of the most interest to consumers is the one that appears to be the least consistent. While the Treadwear Grade was originally intended to be assigned purely scientifically, it has also become a marketing tool used by manufacturers to help position and promote their tires.

Treadwear Grades

UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

R

Users who are viewing this thread