New McLeod RXT clutch - clutch chatter normal?

nhs156

Established Member
I just replaced my stock clutch with a new McLeod twin disc street clutch rated for 1000hp. The car is otherwise stock. The clutch chatter is insane vs stock. So much so that I have to launch at 3-4k all the time - incl in stop and go traffic - to avoid severe drivetrain shake. The clutch was installed by the local Ford dealer, and mounted to the old flywheel which only needed very minor refinishing according to the dealer. I had a friend drive it on Friday - a semi-professional race car driver. He said it was fine - once you got used to launching at higher revs.

So, is it normal that one of these needs to be launched at much higher RPMs vs stock? Does this improve over time? I drive this thing daily and am slightly annoyed that I have to rev it as much as I do in traffic - feel a bit of an idiot, frankly. The bite on this clutch is simply incredible vs stock. On the plus side, the clutch pedal feels much lighter than it did with the OEM clutch. I have about 400 miles in the new clutch so far...

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I just replaced my stock clutch with a new McLeod twin disc street clutch rated for 1000hp. The car is otherwise stock. The clutch chatter is insane vs stock. So much so that I have to launch at 3-4k all the time - incl in stop and go traffic - to avoid severe drivetrain shake. The clutch was installed by the local Ford dealer, and mounted to the old flywheel which only needed very minor refinishing according to the dealer. I had a friend drive it on Friday - a semi-professional race car driver. He said it was fine - once you got used to launching at higher revs.

So, is it normal that one of these needs to be launched at much higher RPMs vs stock? Does this improve over time? I drive this thing daily and am slightly annoyed that I have to rev it as much as I do in traffic - feel a bit of an idiot, frankly. The bite on this clutch is simply incredible vs stock. On the plus side, the clutch pedal feels much lighter than it did with the OEM clutch. I have about 400 miles in the new clutch so far...

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Are you sure this is the sprung hub RXT and not the street twin? From everything I've read on this clutch, I didn't hear anybody complain about chatter. Maybe something is wrong, but I'll let somebody else with the same clutch chime in.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I have the RXT clutch (spring less) and the chatter is still there (though better after 1000 kms) I also have the aluminum flywheel and 2.66 first gear. I do have to rev it up more than before because of the allu flywheel but noticed the chatter is more of a pedal position thing meaning it doesn't matter what rpm you are at rather how long you stay in that spot where the chatter occurs.

ThomasL

Established Member
Yup. Chatter is normal. Been on my RXT for maybe 11k miles now. It has slightly improved from when i first got it.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Chatter is normal on the RXT's? I thought the RXT didn't chatter, which is partially why some preferred it over the Spec clutches. Are there different RXT's for this car?

SVTPete83

Established Member
Chatter is normal? Horseshit. My rxt only chatters if I screw up and let the clutch out too harshly. It chattered a bit for the first 100 miles or so. But there is no chatter at all in normal day to day driving. Install is very important on these though.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
When I had the RXT in my 08 GT500 it did chatter a lot for about 1000 miles than it was perfect. give it some time to break in. I'm probably doing a Spec P-trim clutch in my 13 GT500 so hopefully that one doesn't chatter as bad.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Okay so if the RXT chatters, what after market clutch won't chatter? I was under the impression that people preferred the RXT to the Spec clutch BECAUSE the spec clutch chattered and the RXT didn't. That clearly must not be the reason then.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Okay so if the RXT chatters, what after market clutch won't chatter? I was under the impression that people preferred the RXT to the Spec clutch BECAUSE the spec clutch chattered and the RXT didn't. That clearly must not be the reason then.

Every aftermarket twin disc is going to chatter a little during break in, it's just something you really can't avoid, unfortunately some are louder than others, like I said earlier, give it about 500 to 1000 miles and it should barely chatter at all.

ThomasL

Established Member
Every aftermarket twin disc is going to chatter a little during break in, it's just something you really can't avoid, unfortunately some are louder than others, like I said earlier, give it about 500 to 1000 miles and it should barely chatter at all.

Exactly. It chatters. That's normal. Is it extreme or unbearable? No. But it will happen and happens far less after about 1k miles or so.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I'm guessing the McLeod RXT still chatter less than the Spec clutches? I'm gonna be around 700/715-ish rwhp when I'm done modding this car, if I end up keeping it. With that, the RXT is still the best, most street able choice?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm guessing the McLeod RXT still chatter less than the Spec clutches? I'm gonna be around 700/715-ish rwhp when I'm done modding this car, if I end up keeping it. With that, the RXT is still the best, most street able choice?

It's definitely up there with the best of the twin disc clutchs, I have very little experience with Spec, but I have heard very good things about the Spec P-trim clutch. but don't regret buying the RXT, it's definitely a awesome clutch.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
It's definitely up there with the best of the twin disc clutchs, I have very little experience with Spec, but I have heard very good things about the Spec P-trim clutch. but don't regret buying the RXT, it's definitely a awesome clutch.

I'm still most likely gonna end up with the RXT. I have one more question, and sorry if this is extremely newbish. What is the benefit of having a sprung hub clutch, like the RXT is? I can guess, but I'd like to know for sure.

Ablaze

Established Member
Not ragging on the RXT, most everyone loves it, but I don't know anyone that has it here locally where it doesn't chatter (most cars I've heard have significant chatter but they just ignore it) and they've been installed by two big names here, one of which I believe is a sponsor here. I don't know why some chatter more than others but I imagine many just don't care.

Ablaze

Established Member
I'm still most likely gonna end up with the RXT. I have one more question, and sorry if this is extremely newbish. What is the benefit of having a sprung hub clutch, like the RXT is? I can guess, but I'd like to know for sure.

I believe the spring hub is supposed to reduce the chatter, I could be wrong. I plan on looking at ACE when the time comes.. I've only been in one car with it so far but it's quiet and runs great. I think they produce the clutches for Shelby and the cost doesn't really concern me as this is a pleasure vehicle.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I believe the spring hub is supposed to reduce the chatter, I could be wrong. I plan on looking at ACE when the time comes.. I've only been in one car with it so far but it's quiet and runs great. I think they produce the clutches for Shelby and the cost doesn't really concern me as this is a pleasure vehicle.

I'm curious to hear more about these ACE clutches. Anybody on here run them?

nhs156

Established Member
Alright chaps - thanks for the responses. I think I'm about 500 miles into breaking it in - look forward to seeing how it feels in another 500 miles. Was initially taken aback at having to launch at much higher RPMs even in stop and go traffic!

Thanks again,

Softballer77

Established Member
I just ordered the twin disk that is offered from Ace. Approximately 23lbs lighter flywheel/clutch than the oem flywheel/clutch. I'll do a review once it's installed.

Users who are viewing this thread