New Marauder owner, some basic questions

20JK10

Hello! My dad just picked up an 03 Marauder with 55k miles on it. First thing we plan to do is some basic maintenance. I am not new to cars or the automotive aftermarket, just the Marauder and the Ford 4.6 DOHC. I do know it takes 5w20 motor oil and 75w140 rear gear oil. I have some basic questions I wasn't able to find through a search.

What plug wires do you recommend? Don't need anything super fancy, just ones that work great and last.

Ditto for spark plugs.

Any common wear and tear items we should check on this particular motor at these miles?

Thanks

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
There is no plug wires the 4.6L that the 03-04 Mach 1 and MM's have is COP's Coil on plugs.

Spark plugs I use NGK's myself now TR-6's since I have a Trilogy/ Eaton M-112 roots S/C on top of mine. Denso would be another top pick.

Basically I would just go over all belts and hoses for rot or age cracks just to make sure.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Hello! My dad just picked up an 03 Marauder with 55k miles on it. First thing we plan to do is some basic maintenance. I am not new to cars or the automotive aftermarket, just the Marauder and the Ford 4.6 DOHC. I do know it takes 5w20 motor oil and 75w140 rear gear oil. I have some basic questions I wasn't able to find through a search.

What plug wires do you recommend? Don't need anything super fancy, just ones that work great and last.

Ditto for spark plugs.

Any common wear and tear items we should check on this particular motor at these miles?

Thanks

As said before, 99+ mod motors are all coil on plug, and at 55k miles you shouldn't need coils OR plugs. But if you must change the plugs, motorcraft or autolite are fine. NGK is also a good alternative.

For engine oil, I run synthetic 5W30 as per recommendation of ford racing. Ford went from 5W30 to 5W20 in the mod motors back in 99 to improve MPG to meet new gov't standards. Your engine won't blow up on 5w20, so thats your call.

For the 8.8, if you get a synthetic 75W140 with LS additives, you won't need friction modifier. (most likely, I've heard a couple cases of people still needing it depending on what they bought)

Issues? Is your car a 300a or 300b? (Do you have a dash clock, or a clock in the radio?), the biggest issues are the LCM's failing, the EATC's having Oring issues or blend doors dying, 300a's had axle problems and most of the black cars had paint issues.

There is no plug wires the 4.6L that the 03-04 Mach 1 and MM's have is COP's Coil on plugs.

Spark plugs I use NGK's myself now TR-6's since I have a Trilogy/ Eaton M-112 roots S/C on top of mine. Denso would be another top pick.

Basically I would just go over all belts and hoses for rot or age cracks just to make sure.

I've been meaning to ask you for like 3 years now, whats going on with the marauder in your sig? :lol1:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
That is what happens when you have a low blood sugar reading (brittle diabetic) and you take out a guard rail end at 50 MPH!!!

But $8500 dollars later it is as good as new just turned 47,000 miles before winter storage.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
That is what happens when you have a low blood sugar reading (brittle diabetic) and you take out a guard rail end at 50 MPH!!!

But $8500 dollars later it is as good as new just turned 47,000 miles before winter storage.

damn, 8500 dollars in damage would total most marauders now :eek:

69boss429

Established Member
The way you choose to maintain your marauder would depend on it's usage.
I have a 2003 Black with light flint interior that I have resisted the temptation to modify.
With the exception of a blacked out front grill emblem,Ford GT coil covers,and a tweak to the rear suspension to lower it just a tad.
These mods require no radical maintenance upgrades so I stick with Factory Ford parts for all maintenance.
My 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis LS has survived over 228,000 miles with this approach and I expect the Marauder will as well.
Enjoy your Marauder!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread