(New) Mantic clutch finally arrives

Bad Company

Established Member
Can't say I ever heard anything bad about shawn from Fischer Motorsports. I heard he was one of the best in Tuning Motec ECU's. Well..... hopefully once installed you can get a chance play with it and learn of all the potentials is has to offer. I have no doubt its gonna put a big smile on your face once its all dialed in for ya.
I'm shooting for 1500RWHP, now whether or not it is achieved is another story. Swapping the lower up from the stock diameter to a 15% overdrive and going from a 4" upper to a 3.5" to bring the supercharger speed up to 17400RPM at 7500 engine RPM. Currently the supercharger should be moving 2085CFM, the pulley changes will increase this to 2581CFM. Now the next question is, will the throttle body become a restriction and not allow the supercharger to produce this amount of CFM of air hindering the gain in power? I guess we will find out. I think it is going to be a hard number to achieve. I've thought about swapping the supercharger out for a 4.7L, with this increase in size, the 15% over lower with a 4" upper slows the supercharger RPM down to 15281RPM for 2536CFM. Or do we use a 3.875" upper on the 4.7L for 15774 supercharger RPM with 2618CFM. These thoughts brings to my mind the thought of slowing the bigger blower down for approximately the same CFM to hopefully have less HP drag to turn the bigger blower slower for a net Hp gain at the tires. But again would the throttle body limit the airflow no matter which blower was on the car? It is an expensive question to answer and I really don't want to spend the money to find which blower is better suited to achieve the answer to this question rattling around my nimble minded brain. Now if I did upgrade to the 4.7L supercharger it would give me the ability to spin it faster to hopefully break the 1500Hp output. The downside to this is if the throttle body is too restrictive and limits airflow by an unknown percentage this will cause the supercharger to start super heating the air as it exits into the intake manifold. If the air temperature is raised too much then the gain won't be what it should be unless I run ice in the HE tank to drop the intake temperatures down. I'm also hoping by going to E98 that this helps in cooling the intake air temperatures somewhat. At this point I think it is a balancing act between a 4.2L and a 4.7L supercharger because of the throttle body. Unfortunately KB doesn't offer a larger DBW throttle body than the 168MM Mono-blade that will fit our cars.

Bad Company

Established Member
Mantic triple disc
The one thing I like better about the Mantic triple disc in your picture is the fact all three discs have springs in the center hubs. The ACE clutch has 2 sprung discs and 1 non-sprung. Now in my driving experiences with the ACE clutch can't feel any skipping of that non-sprung disc on the plates as I engage the clutch from a stop. Both clutches in triple disc are rated for 1500 lb-ft of torque, so neither one has an advantage there. I think if I ever have a clutch failure in the future and I don't go to a Tilton 4 disc carbon on carbon I'd go the Mantic route because of all discs being sprung hubs for street driving. I would think the extra sprung hub would be easier on the driveline over the life of a clutch.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm shooting for 1500RWHP, now whether or not it is achieved is another story. Swapping the lower up from the stock diameter to a 15% overdrive and going from a 4" upper to a 3.5" to bring the supercharger speed up to 17400RPM at 7500 engine RPM. Currently the supercharger should be moving 2085CFM, the pulley changes will increase this to 2581CFM. Now the next question is, will the throttle body become a restriction and not allow the supercharger to produce this amount of CFM of air hindering the gain in power? I guess we will find out. I think it is going to be a hard number to achieve. I've thought about swapping the supercharger out for a 4.7L, with this increase in size, the 15% over lower with a 4" upper slows the supercharger RPM down to 15281RPM for 2536CFM. Or do we use a 3.875" upper on the 4.7L for 15774 supercharger RPM with 2618CFM. These thoughts brings to my mind the thought of slowing the bigger blower down for approximately the same CFM to hopefully have less HP drag to turn the bigger blower slower for a net Hp gain at the tires. But again would the throttle body limit the airflow no matter which blower was on the car? It is an expensive question to answer and I really don't want to spend the money to find which blower is better suited to achieve the answer to this question rattling around my nimble minded brain. Now if I did upgrade to the 4.7L supercharger it would give me the ability to spin it faster to hopefully break the 1500Hp output. The downside to this is if the throttle body is too restrictive and limits airflow by an unknown percentage this will cause the supercharger to start super heating the air as it exits into the intake manifold. If the air temperature is raised too much then the gain won't be what it should be unless I run ice in the HE tank to drop the intake temperatures down. I'm also hoping by going to E98 that this helps in cooling the intake air temperatures somewhat. At this point I think it is a balancing act between a 4.2L and a 4.7L supercharger because of the throttle body. Unfortunately KB doesn't offer a larger DBW throttle body than the 168MM Mono-blade that will fit our cars.
Wow......1,500 horsepower to the wheels. Sounds like alot of fun to come in the near future. Ive read somewhere......I think it was on the KB website that the 4.7 actually is more efficient than the 4.2. Sounds like your gonna have to make some decisions and roll with them to prove out. Probably would be best to work with what you have and go from there instead of investing in upgrading to a larger supercharger.

Bad Company

Established Member
I honestly don't know if it is achievable, I'm thinking 1450-1475 is where it is going to end up. I am hoping for 1500 or higher, as I believe this is what it will take to get past 230mph in a mile. I am of the thoughts that a 4.7L would be more efficient turning it slower for the same CFM output as a 4.2L turning faster, but that is a $4100 question that I really don't want to get the answer to. I want the answer I just don't want to spend $4100 to get it. LOL

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I like what you’re thinking.
I also would like to change TB when I change to aftermarket EFI but like these rear facing Bigun twin TB sucking in huge air and small animals from the cowl area in front of a 4.7 KB!
-J

IMG_3414.jpeg
IMG_3413.jpeg
IMG_3415.jpeg

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I also would like to change TB when I change to aftermarket EFI but like these rear facing Bigun twin TB sucking in huge air and small animals from the cowl area in front of a 4.7 KB!
-J

View attachment 1830817View attachment 1830818View attachment 1830819
I would like to think if this was just going on a dedicated track car there shouldnt be many issues. A track /driver could be an issue. I personally wouldnt go there. I do like the The 4.7 KB Rear TB Setup thou!!

Bad Company

Established Member
-J

View attachment 1830817View attachment 1830818View attachment 1830819
J

That is a twin 109mm.........what about a dual 120mm set up???? : )

How about a dual 120mm with wastegate control/bypass system with a supercharger similar to a turbocharger to be able to control boost by gear with the MoTec ECU????

Unfortunately the problem is both the KB big twin and Shawn's dual DBW 120mm TBs don't have the best way to install a filter or in Shawn's a dual filter set up. Both exit to the cowl and require firewall modifications. If I ever thought about going down that road, I'd go with Shawn's set up because of the fact you have boost control that can be used to limit power until you have the traction to use it.

I'm actually getting him to do this with the standard 168mm Mono-blade ; )

Attachments

• Twin TB 3D printed mock up.jpg
    Twin TB 3D printed mock up.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Twin TB Base Mount.jpg
    Twin TB Base Mount.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Twin TB Bypass 2.jpg
    Twin TB Bypass 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 16
  • KB SC Base with Bypass.jpg
    KB SC Base with Bypass.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
The one thing I like better about the Mantic triple disc in your picture is the fact all three discs have springs in the center hubs. The ACE clutch has 2 sprung discs and 1 non-sprung. Now in my driving experiences with the ACE clutch can't feel any skipping of that non-sprung disc on the plates as I engage the clutch from a stop. Both clutches in triple disc are rated for 1500 lb-ft of torque, so neither one has an advantage there. I think if I ever have a clutch failure in the future and I don't go to a Tilton 4 disc carbon on carbon I'd go the Mantic route because of all discs being sprung hubs for street driving. I would think the extra sprung hub would be easier on the driveline over the life of a clutch.
I went with Mantic because its great for the street, and it held up great with a 1300hp 13-14 GT500 this guy use to have on YouTube. I plan on TRACKING my car, not drag racing it.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
J

How about a dual 120mm with wastegate control/bypass system with a supercharger similar to a turbocharger to be able to control boost by gear with the MoTec ECU????

Unfortunately the problem is both the KB big twin and Shawn's dual DBW 120mm TBs don't have the best way to install a filter or in Shawn's a dual filter set up. Both exit to the cowl and require firewall modifications. If I ever thought about going down that road, I'd go with Shawn's set up because of the fact you have boost control that can be used to limit power until you have the traction to use it.

Thats going to be a pretty cool setup! Slick idea to maximize air flow.....RESTRICTION KLLER..(y)

Poisonous West

Established Member
J

HI Kurt, looks like you are getting out of control spending mods on your car.

Definitely 1 of a kind set-up.

Bad Company

Established Member
Thats going to be a pretty cool setup! Slick idea to maximize air flow.....RESTRICTION KLLER..(y)
Yes that is a wild set up Shawn built for a guy a few years back. The car is strictly a race car and no filter was used as far as he knew. The TBs each are set up for a 4" hose to slide over to then going to piping.
HI Kurt, looks like you are getting out of control spending mods on your car.

Definitely 1 of a kind set-up.
Kam..........I jumped down the rabbit hole a bit deeper, yes. Yet I'm not doing the dual 120mm TBs that was someone else and Shawn telling me about them when he and I were talking about efficiencies of a 4.2 at close to max RPM versus the 4.7 producing the same CFM at a slower RPM. We both felt a 4.7 wouldn't take as much Hp to turn at max engine RPM at slower SC RPM. Now my next question to him was about the 168mm mono-blade being a restriction and whether or not turning the 4.2 fast versus the 4.7 slower would create less heat of the intake air charge coming off of the SC. He said the only way to know that answer was to data log, but he then pointed me towards his 120mm twin TB set up to take the inlet air restriction out of the picture. I am not going to jump down that hole unless I commit to converting the car to 100% race car. I am doing the boost control with a wastegate that is used also as a bypass valve with my 168mm TB, I'm not into it that deeply as my manifold was done with all of the necessary mods for this years ago.

Bad Company

Established Member
Kam

I wanted to add that I only need to modify the KB inlet elbow at the rear of the SC and the KB lower mounting plate for the SC to do the wastegate/bypass valve modification. The main costs are going into the MoTec M150 PnP ECU, wiring harnesses and the ID2600 injectors and the 3 Protech Cobra fuel pump kits, which will require some fabrication and modifications to the Fore fuel hat pump mounting system.

Here is the piping modifications from another angle. I'm thinking Shawn told me he has the piping 3D printed in aluminum now, I know you're a fan of that

Attachments

• Bypass Twin TB.jpg
    Bypass Twin TB.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread