New Mach sounds occasionally sounds like a diesel?

Kevin Waugh

Hey guys, so I just bought an 04 Mach 1, and this is not exactly how I planned on having my first post go but here we are....

I want to start off by mentioning that this is not only my first mustang, but also my first manual car, in case that may be part of the issue.

A little backstory-
I bought this car from a small dealer and the owner of the dealership said it was a personal friends car, but he needed money. I was told it was 'mostly stock' aside from the exhaust, fully adjustable suspension and Bogart wheels (sounds stock, right? Also for sale btw). But when I first sat in it I noticed the short throw shifter, and a clutch that I can only assume is aftermarket. I got it home and found an SCT tuner in the glove compartment and noticed a K&N breather valI started driving the car a few days ago and felt like I picked up it up pretty quick (for a first manual car, with a short throw shifter ;-)). My mom was teaching me and she hadn't driven a manual in ~30 years so its safe to say she was a little rusty, which is why I dismissed the problem at first.

The sound my car is making sounds, as far as I can tell from the cockpit, a diesel on occasion (usually when taking off in 1st, with low RPMs, or when in a higher gear and turning at a low speed with light throttle). Imagine an 18-wheeler sitting idling at a stop light ,or slowly accelerating and put that in a Mach.

So I'm wondering if this is happening because I'm just not giving it enough gas and its on the verge of stalling, or is it possibly something much, much worse? I've read everything from changing the octane of the gas to fix it, from possibly being right on the edge of blowing my motor, so google hasn't really been all that helpful. I did put 93 octane in it earlier in case the dealer put 87 in it before selling it to me, and I tried to catch a video of it making the noise, but it didn't make it in the 5 minute drive there or back.

Has anyone faced this issue or have any idea what it might be? Any help is appreciated.

07s197gt

Established Member
I'm betting what the above poster said is correct. Does it mostly make the noise at low RPM like say around 1000? You should probably be cruising at around 2000 RPM in that car.

Kevin Waugh

I'm betting what the above poster said is correct. Does it mostly make the noise at low RPM like say around 1000? You should probably be cruising at around 2000 RPM in that car.

Yea it's at low RPMs, I figured that was the case but just wanted to make sure I didn't just get myself into a way worse situation by buying the mach. Thank to you both!

Users who are viewing this thread