New Lightning owner

vols fan

Established Member
Hey guys I'm picking the Lightning up tomorrow if the snow holds off. I don't like to wait long to start the modding process. I don't know alot about what parts to get or where to buy them so let me tell you what I want to do and you guys point me in the right direction. I want to make up to about 450rwhp. I don't have the money for a Whipple or KB so I think I'll just get the Eaton ported and polished. How much should I be looking to spend to make this kind of HP? The truck is bone stock right now. The only sites that I have found so far are lethal performance and chicken ears. Where else can I look? Amazon Tuning is only about 40 miles from me so I think they will be doing the tuning once it is all together.

MJG

Established Member
Ported eaton
TR6 plugs
6# lower
MAF extender
Aftermarket CAI
GOOD tune
A/F guage
Traction Bars
Sticky tires
weight reduction
exhaust would help
that should net you near 450 and help hook

vols fan

Established Member
Yeah the FTVB was going to be my first mod. I was reading elsewhere that the stock manifolds where good for up to 500 hp is that true? If it is I guess I just need a y pipe and catback. I'm also going to do the center consol mod and buy some billet stuff. Do I need a single blade TB? What about the upper intake should I get it ported also? Do I need the 4x4 oil pan?

Last edited:

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
Stock manifolds will be GTG for the setup listed above. Snag yourself a c&L upper intake plenum and a throttle body. I use a dual 67mm BBK, not the accufab. Your choice on that one. I also have a Moroso deep sump pan. Holds more, has a drain plug, and (not that many people look under your truck) looks BAD ASS!!

MJG

Established Member
Steig's got the special now with free port of the plenum and tb, will be plenty for your goals, and save some $$$ to put towards other goodies

dizzygoat

Established Member
Valvebodies are badass, without them it sounds like the motors gonna blow up cause it takes so long to shift at WOT, and it just winds the tach out.
Between VB's and pullies those are the two best bangs for the buck, and definitely the best for seat of the pants feel.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
First off... congrats on the purchase and welcome to the addiction. I didn't post in your original thread, but I'm sorry you were introduced to our disfunctional world through such a tragic event. I'm glad to see however that you plan on honoring your friend by realizing his/your Lightning's potential.

- Killer Chiller
- AeroForce Interceptor scan gauge (at least one, perhaps two depending on your preference)
- Fuel pressure gauge
- DS safety loop (if you plan on hitting the track)

The Interceptor can be wired to support both a wideband A/F and fuel pressure gauge. If you do this I recommend getting two Interceptors. One to monitor the A/F and fuel pressure full time, the other to monitor the other parameters you'd like to watch. This also minimizes the number of gauges cluttering the cab of your truck. Personally I prefer individual wide band and fuel pressure gauges so they are easy to read at a glance (I love my Interceptor though).

I highly recommend the Killer Chiller. Its the best IC system upgrade available and Kincaid's customer service is the best. The KC is one of my favorite mods.
New Page 1

Long tubes are more or less an sound mod until you are pushing 500+ RWHP. I'd like to get a set of LT's but just can't justify them at this point.

MJG's list is pretty solid. With exception of the Stieg port I am on board with his list. I never ran with a ported Eaton so I can't really say whether or not its worth it. Most guys who have gone ported say its worth while, however most guys who stepped up from a ported S/C to a KB or Whipple say it was a waste of money or that they wish they would have put the money they spent on porting towards the KB/Whipple in the first place :shrug:. Porting the S/C should put you in the 435 RWHP range, give or take a few ponies.

Gap the plugs to .032"-.036" and be sure to change the fuel filter at least every other oil change.

Last edited:

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
Welcom to the club and all the guys above have you on the right track. Keep your ears and eyes open around here and you will learn alot from this group of guys. :thumbsup: Matt

vols fan

Established Member
Thanks alot guys. This is all really good info. I will be picking it up tonight and I'll try and post some pics by the weekend.

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
Congrats on the truck and hide your Credit cards and plant a money tree. One you start modding, you will never find a end.

vols fan

Established Member
I didn't get the truck guys. The deal fell apart at the end due to the fact that I wouldn't pay all of the dealerships stupid fees. I hate it but I did find a blue 03 Mach 1 on the way home that I purchased today. So I will continue to post on this site just in a different forum. Thanks for all the info. I hope that I can be of some help to you guys one day.

Users who are viewing this thread