new lightning owner with problems! please help!

justin99

Established Member
i just purchased an 02 with 76000 miles. after buying it today i drove it for about 1 hr and noticed that it felt like it was misfiring. the person i purchased it from said the plugs have never been changed. i changed out the plugs for autolite 103's gapped at .044. the truck is completely stock, supposedly. the truck feels better now but if you barely give it gas around 2 lbs of boost the truck stutters real bad. could this be a bad coil? if so how do you know which coil without a cel light? im wondering if the pulley is smaller cause when you go WOT the gauge goes to pretty much 10 psi. any suggestions on what this could be, surging really bad at low rpms?

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Check and see if it has a caged lower pully, if not it has an aftermarket pully and might be tuned/etc.

justin99

Established Member
so the autolites could be the issue, after putting them in the truck runs better just not right? just for checking though, how would i know if it has a pulley on it? what is the stock size? sorry the search isnt working for me

Snakestress

Drag Queen
Established Member
Caged:
DSC00132.gif

DSC00125.gif

Aftermarket:
DSC00136.gif

justin99

Established Member
ok seems as if everything is stock. after letting the truck sit all night it seems to be almost fine, kinda like when it gets hot and misfires. could this be a coil? im nusure how to check individual coils

justin99

Established Member
i'll try the gap thing. i just went by the sticker under the hood saying .042 to .046 and went in the middle being its stock. i take it that isnt right?

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
It sounds like the spark plugs. The Autolite 103's you are running are for more boost than your making and are suppose to be gaped between .036-.038 the stock plug from autolite is the 764
If your going to keep it stock then put some NGK TR5IX or TR55 or Denso IT16. If your going to add a 4 Pound pulley then go with NGK TR6IX or TR6 or Denso IT20.
The Autolite plug is one of the worse plugs you can put in a forced induction engine. The NGK TR55 and TR6 are under $20 for a set. the iridium plug cost about 4 times as much.

Last edited:

Albuquerque ALI

im a bad man!!!!!!
Established Member
also try and ask fade2black he really knows alot also i want you to read this this is from fade2black i am a new lightning owner as well and this realy helped me http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=226842if this sight doesnt work go to the 2nd gen page ant the thread is at the top click it and read it
Sticky: Newbie FAQ Page For Gen 2....Please read.
Fade 2 Black

Last edited:

bmfgsxr

Established Member
the fuel filter certainly needs to be changed, and i wouldnt run any plugs besides the ngk, or densos. could be a bad coil, but not sure how to check that. but there are plenty of people on this site that can help you with that.

Users who are viewing this thread