New L & new parts - Hp estimates anyone?

LGHTNGfeverUAE

Established Member
I am taking delivery of a Lightning at LAST - INFAMOU$ has sold me his L here in Dubai as he is sniffing around SRT10 trucks as a new project :rockon:

The car is an 00 with a stock block 134K miles, CAI, tune, shift kit and a 3' pulley. I want to add some bits in the form of (most of which are offered by LFP as a power package):

* LFP Deuce Upper Idler Relocation Kit
* LFP Single Blade Throttle Body
* C&L Performance Power Plenum
* LFP Lightweight Aluminum Mounting Hub
* 4# Aluminum Pulley Ring (Anodized for Stronger Belt Contact)
* 14mm Hex Head Tool
* Converter Lock-Up Tool
* Allen Bolt Hardware
* Proper Sized Goodyear Gatorback Belt
* NGK TR6 Spark Plugs (What should these be gapped too?)
* 180° Stant Thermostat
* LFP Dual Pass Lightning Heat Exchanger
* LFP 18'' Dual Speed Electric Fan
* LFP Extreme Intercooler Chiller Core
* SCT Touch Screen extreme (does this fit with Lightnings?)

I have some questions:

1. Can anyone estimate what the HP to the wheels will be with these upgrades?
2. Is there anything I am missing?
3. Is LFP a reliable supplier?
4. They are offering a tune to go with this? Any commments on tuning from them?
5. If I add a Magnum Powers what will the Hp be and can I run that safely on the stock block?

Any comments welcome :beer:

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
134K miles on a stock block and you want more HP. Pull the stock motor and reuse the block after you have it reconditioned and build it. Don't waist all that money on bolt on add ons. You can even use your stock heads and just have them port & polished as heads and cam is where you will really make the most power.

Here is what I say about some of things on your list:

* LFP Deuce Upper Idler Relocation Kit (Believe this is the upgrader idler bracket to reduce belt slip...anyone is good to go with but most guys/trucks I have seen use Magnum Powers idler bracket)
* LFP Single Blade Throttle Body (not going built, just port the stocker)
* C&L Performance Power Plenum (not going built, just port the stocker)
* 4# Aluminum Pulley Ring (With how many miles you have on that motor, I wouldn't up the pulley at all on a stock block)
* NGK TR6 Spark Plugs (check the gap chart on lrodder or nhtoc)
* 180° Stant Thermostat (I am fully built and run a 170)
* LFP Dual Pass Lightning Heat Exchanger (Will help with cooling, but no need unless your going built...where your at right now as long as your IC pump is working, you are good)
* LFP 18'' Dual Speed Electric Fan (Prefer the Madfan IMO, seen alot of LFP control modules go bad)
* LFP Extreme Intercooler Chiller Core (Again something you may want to consider if going built, but on a stock block with what you got, your not making that much heat at all)

Do a lot more research & reading on threads on this site, Welcome to the National Harley Truck Owners Club, & LightningRodder.com about adding on to a stock block high mileage motor vs saving the money and just going built.

These motors will easily last 200+ miles if properly maintained and not ragged hard on. I have seen plenty of guys with Harley Trucks & L's that have 200+ miles on theirs who left them stock and just stayed up on the routine maintnence & never had a single issue.

Long story short --- if your not going to build the block for more power, then leave the truck alone and do appearance/sound system upgrades only. Don't do bolt on add on's. As you will only push it so far and then all of sudden BOOM...welcome to the vented block club and now you have to go built & may not be able to use your stock block, crank, or heads due to the damage caused.

Trust me on this...I pushed my stock block and it went boom, so now I am built. Wish I just would have gone built to begin with.

Last edited:

LGHTNGfeverUAE

Established Member
Some great points and advice thanks!

A few things I left out:

* Am going built soon - chatting to MMR - see other thread.
* I am based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates so porting, tuning or anything other than hand tool work is VERY difficult!

Also, I was under the impression these truck can reasonably safely be tuned to 450 + rwhp on the stocker hence me wanting to up the hp?

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
Most trucks don't have problems up to the 450 rwhp number but there have been alot that have just let go well before that number. It is really a hit or miss with the rods. I have seen completely stock trucks, bolt on trucks, & built trucks go. It's just one of those things that happen.

The tune is the major part of the truck being able to handle what you through at it, but all the other little factors that people forget get them in trouble. Heat being the first, then fuel cut out, IC pump not working, and of course cooler tempature running as the air is more dense so it increases boost (don't think you have to worry about that in Dubai :) )

What ever you do...just make sure you monitor A/F, Fuel pressure, & boost and watch out for the normal things not to do:

No 2 gear kickdowns (4-2 & 3-1) with those stock rods
No WOT blasts into OD (4th), make sure the the OD is OFF
Cool weather increases boost, but like I said before...you don't have to worry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread