New? Kenny Brown ALUMINUM diff bushings? Improvement?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Just caught these over on MustangWeekly.
KENNY.jpg

KENNY BROWN IRS DIF BUSHINGS
Kenny’s new Aluminum Differential Bushing Kit is a needed addition to any new Cobra, especially if the suspension and chassis has been upgraded to handle more power or for serious racing applications. The aluminum bushing kit offers a dramatic reduction in wheel-hop under hard acceleration by eliminating the deflection that rubber bushings normally present. In addition, the zero-deflection aluminum bushing offers dramatically improved grip on corner exit or under hard launches at the drag strip. As an added value, the aluminum acts as a heat-soak to absorb heat generated by the rear differential. The kit also has a series of shims which are built-in to the design, but can be removed one at a time allowing you to adjust the pinion angle to compensate for lowering the vehicle or to fine tune the drive train and eliminate unwanted vibrations.

Iiinteresting. Might these result in even better control of the rear diff for less wheel hop?

I'm guessing NVH will be increased over the urethane diff bushings.

The ability to adjust pinion angle is intriguing however, as this might be another way to help with those of us suffering from driveline vibration as a way to fine tune things?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
Just caught these over on MustangWeekly.
Iiinteresting. Might these result in even better control of the rear diff for less wheel hop?

I'm guessing NVH will be increased over the urethane diff bushings.

The ability to adjust pinion angle is intriguing however, as this might be another way to help with those of us suffering from driveline vibration as a way to fine tune things?

I'm bet the NVH increases a lot.

I don't think this will fix the vibration problem. I thought the vibration was created by the DS being out of spec.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
The urethane ones are around $50. Cant find anything on their website on the alum ones

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Have you considered steeda differential bushings? The gentleman who inherented my IRS installed them with the MM IRS bushings. The steeda diff bushings seem to be the most popular.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
The Steeda's are on the list to go in with the new IRS bolts.

I was just looking for some feedback thinking maybe this might be a better setup.

Noisier bushines? I need longtubes damnit! :D :D

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The Steeda urethane bushings look exactly the same as the ones Kenny Brown sells and I am 99% certain they are the same. I would be interested in the aluminum ones though.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
toofast,

You seem to be the man when it comes to the suspension.

How do you think the car will "feel" compared to the urethane ones?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I would expect that the aluminum version would further decrease the amount the differential rotates both back to front and left to right over the urethane version. A main concern with the differential moving is that the differential is connected to the IRS assembly at two different mounting locations. The pinion which I believe is the stronger portion of the assembly and where these bushings are used and the differential cover which is very weak. If the transition load can be controlled by the pinion location then the chance of the cover breaking can be minimized. There have been several urethane bushings failures including to mjchip which also broke his cover at the same time. So the more load that we can reduce from the weak cover will decrease the likelihood of breaking the cover. I wouldn't expect them to substantially increase NVH as remember this entire assembly still has the IRS assembly bushings to go through before they reach the chassis. They will most likely increase driveline “clunk” going into gear and any vibrations that you might be experiencing, but that should be expected with either the urethane or aluminum versions as they are removing the play from the system.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
anyone find a price on these or know hte price on the SHM IRS ones any info would be great thanks jeff

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
I'd probably get a set of these to try. I know the poly bushings were critical to resolving my hop issue. These should be even better. However, I wonder how they will fit. The stock bushings are tapered to fit inside of the lip on the side of the pumpkin. The dimensions on these KB bushings look identical to the Steeda bushings which are not tapered and require either notching the bushing (which I did) or notching the lip on the pumpkin. I also think the Steeda bushings were designed on the IRS that did not have IRS Forward Torque Brace (earlier IRS Cobras) and so were a bit thicker than what would have been appropriate for the Cobras with the Torque Brace. Perhaps these were designed with those issues in mind but I'm skeptical.

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
I have these bushings on my ride now and they seem to have helped even further on the wheel hop issue. I paid around $67.00 for them but that is less a 15% discount I get for belonging to the SCMC (Svt Cobra Mustang Club www.svtcobraclub.com). That would make the cost around $80 but if you call Rich at Kenny Brown ext. 219 and tell him Big Daddy sent you he MIGHT set you up with a set for less than retail....BUT DON'T COUNT ON IT! ;-) :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread