New Jersey Motorsports Park

Maynor

Established Member
Quick track report after two days at NJMP:

Except for the Desert like weather, (Fierce 20 mph winds x 2 days and constant sand blasting due to zero grass anywhere on the track/paddock area,and a serious wind chill,) Thunderbolt is really a great course to drive! Well done NJMP designers! I only wish there were more elevation changes because its a pretty flat track but I couldn't wait to get back out. I guess I'm spoiled by the Glen and VIR in particular but NJMP is a track to put on your list.

The biggest danger turn was T3 where most of the offs happened. Early apex and you're off. The track marshal also indicated T14 was very popular for offs but I didn't hear about any during this event.

T11 is my personal favorite where judicious use of the throttle will reward you with some serious rotation of the car into a very tight, very late apex turn. Really, the throttle is your friend in this turn. Especially in a Mustang.

T14 is a high speed bend into the front straight and the best advice I got was no more than two wheels onto the concrete apex. They had a cone at the apex forcing you off the concrete portion of the apex most of the event which really ruined the entry onto the front straight. However, they removed it later in day 2 which made for much faster exit speeds thankfully. The cone is probably why there weren't any offs in T14 for this event.

The views from the roof of the tower are spectacular! You can see the entire course, the adjacent airport and miles around.

Plenty of run off area overall but one car did crash into the tire wall which destroyed a beautiful C6 Vette. The only casualty of the event. Massive damage on 3 sides due to a blown drivers side rear tire. Spun right into the wall coming out of T5 when the tire blew if I had to guess. Driver and instructor walked away thankfully.

Put it on your list. Except for the sand blowing into every orifice and the $4 coke machines, they got it right. Concession food was pretty good too. Hopefully, the grass will be in by next season. I suspect the uber expensive drinks and garage space probably won't change though. $100/day for garage space. Ugh.

John
Novi'd 99 Cobra

Users who are viewing this thread